Help ID this Mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I gotta lotta help figuring out what my Jonsereds 52E was here (thanks, George), so I thought I'd try my luck again with this big Mac... Heavy as he!!, sounds like a Harley. Big ole' 30+" bar came on it. No ID anywhere I can find. Any help?
PS. Them dawgs are scary!

Last edited:
I'd say it's something in the 250/300 line. Someone more familar with Macs should be able to say for sure.

Going by your photos I would rule out the 200/250/300 series,they use a different air box cover. Yours looks like a 1-40 series Mac 1959-1963, 4.9cid, The models were
1-40,41,42,43,45,46.
These had a plunger type of choke mech

Looks like my photo host is on the blink. See attached pics. Also, look at eBay auction #2043107881. There's a 250 there that looks just like my saw.

Man, thatza mean lookin' saw!!! Did you try lookin' at pictures in the Chainsaw Collector's Corner? Good luck:blob2:

Once again, I bow before those who actually know what they're talking about. :)

Those are some mean looking spikes. (getting ideas for the Johnspike Mk. III...)

Looks like a 250. Everything but the fancy grip on the trigger
grip. I've only seen that on the 1-51. Could it be a crossbreed?
The 1-51 has a different top cover. I'm just going off pictures
from E-bay so I could be wrong. All my saws are yellow & black
which is why I don't post here often but I'm here every day.

Onthehillintn

Yes I saw that one on Ebay after I posted. I was using my micro-fiche and an old Mac Tech Srevice library catalog(1965) to ID it.
Both do not show that type of air filter cover on a 250, but pictures dont lie and knowing SawKing from my past dealings with him I dont doubt that is a 250.
If yours has a Plunger Type choke,(the choke button itself when pushed in closes off the carb inlet) it is likely a 1-43. If it has a butterfly choke then it would be a 200, both had Tillotson carbs.
If yours has a McCulloch carb with a primer button then you have a 250/1-46
I of course could be wrong

It's a 1-41,or 1-42 ...... I have not seen the 250's with so much black on them.If you tip the saw and clean off the bottom it might still have the model stamped in the crank case. :cool:

It has a Mac carb with the plunger-type primer, no choke at all. No stamping on bottom of crankcase. Exact model isn't real important as y'all have helped me narrow it down to the 4.9-inch models. Thanks.

mac ID

The 1-71 came with a black air cover and a 30" bar. About 1960 and on. You could get a 12" bar for it if you were using it for limbing. If the powerhead weights just under 19 lbs., it could be the 1-41 but they could not pull a 30" bar and chain/ their limit was 16". The 1-71 was a 5.3 not a 4.9, it is 1960's. Weigh it, over 19 lbs and my guess is it is a1-71.

Turn the saw upside down and look for the numbers that are stamped in the crankcase portion The serial number will be preceeded by the model number such as 1-41 xxxxx

Latest posts

Back