Help Me Decide which chainsaw next to work on!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffpack1957

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, finished the Stihl 011avt, nice little buzz saw. Downside, throws a poop ton of oil.

I have a Stihl 031AVT beat to hell, probably just give that one away locally

Theres a Shindawa 360, appears pretty clean and not used much at all. yanked the carb real quick , clean inside but wont hold pressure. Nice lightweight saw.

Stihl 021 and a Jonsered 2041

I'm leaning towards the Shin, as theres little to be found here last I looked on the Jonsered, and havent looked around on opinions on the 021 yet.

So you folks, help me decide!!!

My opinion, throw the 021 in the trash and keep the shindaiwa and or the jonesred. The jonesred should be the equivalent to a husqy 40 or 41. Can't remember which. OK running for what they are, plenty of parts available yet. No real knowledge of the shindaiaw other then it's around 35cc and built in Japan. Parts can be a bugger to find for some models, but I have a soft spot for Japanese built saws.

My opinion, throw the 021 in the trash and keep the shindaiwa and or the jonesred. The jonesred should be the equivalent to a husqy 40 or 41. Can't remember which. OK running for what they are, plenty of parts available yet. No real knowledge of the shindaiaw other then it's around 35cc and built in Japan. Parts can be a bugger to find for some models, but I have a soft spot for Japanese built saws.

Hello Sean , I remember the Jonsered 2041 to be equivalent to the Husqvarna 41 .
I gotta ask if your savings account is better nowadays ? : )

not a whole lot on this site about the Jonsered as far as how good it is, etc.

Have a look in the Chainsaw Stickies section- there is a few thousand pages of information.

Yes the 2041 is basically a Husqvarna 41, a strange amalgamation Electrolux era saw that came from Partner design.
It is plastic and not that flash, personally I would be rating it with the 021- which is probably going to be the easiest saw to find parts for if you need any.

A 2041 can be refreshed and returned to good condition, but it still a light use small timber saw- 14 inch bar max kind of limbing saw.

Have a look in the Chainsaw Stickies section- there is a few thousand pages of information.

Yes the 2041 is basically a Husqvarna 41, a strange amalgamation Electrolux era saw that came from Partner design.
It is plastic and not that flash, personally I would be rating it with the 021- which is probably going to be the easiest saw to find parts for if you need any.

A 2041 can be refreshed and returned to good condition, but it still a light use small timber saw- 14 inch bar max kind of limbing saw.
I found a few threads extolling their virtue, but mostly pretty old. Well, its an old saw, but seems kinda flimsy compared to the Stihl 011 I just refreshed

I found a few threads extolling their virtue, but mostly pretty old. Well, its an old saw, but seems kinda flimsy compared to the Stihl 011 I just refreshed

There are a LOT of nicer Jonsereds to be putting time and effort in to- but you have it in hand so you might as well make it good again if you can.
Not a brick like the 011, lot more user friendly, better (but not great) AV and handling.

I remember us discussing them and telling people to throw them out and buy a 345 or 350 husqy. That was a a few years ago now lol. They wernt bad for their time period. I got no love for those old little stihls.

I remember us discussing them and telling people to throw them out and buy a 345 or 350 husqy. That was a a few years ago now lol. They wernt bad for their time period. I got no love for those old little stihls.

I am not fond of them- own them all- but not fond.
However I did buy its bigger sister 2045 when they first came out, used it professionally for about 18 months thinning Pine block at 10 years growth and cutting them into fence post lengths to be peeled.
Destroyed that saw in the process- but it made me a lot of money as well.

2041 is fine for a homeowner cutting small diameter timber for personal use now and then- not a lot else.
But hey, thats probably what they were designed for eh?

Well, spent some time. I dont really care for that 2041 in the least. Unless theres some secret, cant pull the top plastic without removing one side of the handle? It had a few issues, start cord wasnt locking well, that was fixed with some oil on those locking dog legs. Simple fix.

Brake was locked up, not really sure what was even wrong with it, disassembled, had to kinda "bang" it unlocked. Fresh fuel, new plug, fired up and runs. I dont like it doesnt have a trigger lock for easier starting (for me anyways) I like the Stihl 011 much better.

The Shindawa needs a carb rebuild, so onto that.

Well, spent some time. I dont really care for that 2041 in the least. Unless theres some secret, cant pull the top plastic without removing one side of the handle? It had a few issues, start cord wasnt locking well, that was fixed with some oil on those locking dog legs. Simple fix.

Brake was locked up, not really sure what was even wrong with it, disassembled, had to kinda "bang" it unlocked. Fresh fuel, new plug, fired up and runs. I dont like it doesnt have a trigger lock for easier starting (for me anyways) I like the Stihl 011 much better.

The Shindawa needs a carb rebuild, so onto that.

The top cover is somewhat clamped by the recoil cover- loosen the latter and see if you can remove the top cover- unless something has been altered- you do NOT need to remove the handle to remove the top cover.

The fast idle is set by the CHOKE lever- it does not need a trigger lock- that was old school, using the choke to set high idle was a step up towards the future.

The top cover is somewhat clamped by the recoil cover- loosen the latter and see if you can remove the top cover- unless something has been altered- you do NOT need to remove the handle to remove the top cover.

The fast idle is set by the CHOKE lever- it does not need a trigger lock- that was old school, using the choke to set high idle was a step up towards the future.
wow, ty so much for that!

It still looks, I dunno, just odd inside, but my frame of experience is, well, uh "not much" LOL

Most small saws that vintage feel goofy in the hands, basically cinder blocks with handles, near or zero av and crappy filters. Play with the shindiawa some more, I'll be willing to bet it's going to be your favorite.

Most small saws that vintage feel goofy in the hands, basically cinder blocks with handles, near or zero av and crappy filters. Play with the shindiawa some more, I'll be willing to bet it's going to be your favorite.
I certainly has not befallen the hands of my dads heathen helpers, its in excellent shape. Best shape of all of them. Something about that 011 though, I like that brick feeling :)

Oddly, the filter setup for that SHin looks iffy, its just screen. At least the 011 is some sort of material

Don't get hung up on that, most saws back then didn't have filters worth a crap. The 011 is included in that, and will fill the carb box full of Sawdust and chips. It's a stihl thing. Only recently changed with some newer models. Part of owning an old stihl. Get the shindy running, if it's running right you'll be quite pleased with it.

Don't get hung up on that, most saws back then didn't have filters worth a crap. The 011 is included in that, and will fill the carb box full of Sawdust and chips. It's a stihl thing. Only recently changed with some newer models. Part of owning an old stihl. Get the shindy running, if it's running right you'll be quite pleased with it.
I'll get the carb rebuilt this weekend, I dont expect to have to do much, its barely used.

Latest posts

Back