Help me diagnose a MS201TC running issue please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went through the 90 second idle period which according to the internet anyway is supposed to reset the processor. It idles perfectly.

I put it in a stick of wood and it cut perfectly, plenty of power, for 5 or 6 seconds. Then it cut off just like you turned the switch off.

So, would seem it has to be the solenoid or the processor itself telling the solenoid to close.

Anybody have a suspicion ?
I would look for a chaffed wire by the control switch it may be getting grounded.

I purchased a 201 TCM in April. It has had running issues since day 1. I have taken it back to Ace Hardware, where I purchased it, over 4 times. I have also taken it to two other Still Shops. Every time I go out cutting firewood the saw starts, cuts for 3 or 4 cuts and then dies. And it continues throughout the day. In the first five wood cutting trips it had over 150 starts. Each time I take it to ACE about the problem I am told there is nothing wrong with it. I have owned 7 other Stills over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. This 201 is the most expensive saw I have purchased, but has been nothing but trouble. I have called Stihl tech Support and reported the problem. They just refer me to another dealer. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Hire Johnny Kneecaps, thats just foul dealer play.

Truthfully, these M-tronic saws can have intermittent issues. The wiring is thread-like fibre. Your saw could be suffering from such an issue. I'm no expert with M-tronic tech. There are a dozen guys on here, who are. Get ready to replace some parts yourself. I was down a rabbit hole. The gurus told me to check the wiring first.

Thank you for the tip. I will see the repair shop in the morning and request that they try replacing the solenoid.
The wiring harness is problematic on that saw. With normal tree service use it gets stretched out and often a few wires break inside the plastic sheath. You won’t see it and it will pass a continuity test.
id replace the harness…not too pricey.

Thank you for the tip. I will see the repair shop in the morning and request that they try replacing the solenoid.
Still just called and will replace the saw. My question is should I go with a 201 again or a different model? I have a 261 that works well. I want a lighter 16" saw for smaller work. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back