Help me fix a 55 Rancher with a scored piston.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that cylinder doesn't look too good. If you get all the high parts off and only the scratches remain the saw would probably run but there is obviously going to be some leakage between the rings and the scratches. There are two primary considerations: 1. How deep are the scratches? and 2. How many scratches are there? I think this cylinder has moderately deep scratches and quite a few of them. So generally this cylinder would be a candidate for replacement but may run fine with a new piston.

Now, the question has to be asked: How much is the saw worth in running condition? This is a relatively inexpensive saw. Not a throw away but not a highly desired commercial model either. So one has to balance the cost of repair vs replacement.

From an arms length view, I don't think a 55 is worth a cylinder. Opinions will obviously vary but at this point the overall condition of the saw has to be considered and also what other trauma may have occurred during the galling/scoring event.

A piston/cylinder kit runs about $100 plus whatever other gaskets and materials you'll need. Then of course the carb may have issues and so forth. Assuming the 55 is similar to the currently available 455 Rancher, I just saw one of those at Costco a couple days ago for well under $400. (Maybe $359 or something, don't remember) So all that data needs to play into the equation.

Just food for thought. We know that rational thought does not always prevail when it comes to these silly boy toys so...

Anyone else want to give an opinion on the cylinder?

If I rebuild the saw here's what I think the shopping list should be. I'm using Baileys for prices.

1. NWP Cylinder Assy Item # CKN 55 $89.95
2. Cylinder plug 503552201 OEM $4.14
3. Base gasket 503162103 OEM $2.42
4. Circlips 737441000 (2) OEM 2 x 1.17 $2.34
5. Piston end needle bearing 501451601 non OEM $3.54
6. Intake boot 503161602 OEM $7.09
7. Fuel line 501768301 $3.78
TOTAL $113.76

I rebuilt the carb in September. Also impulse coupling and fuel filter were replaced. Fuel line was replaced too but I don't like the way it fit. Hopefully the Baileys line will fit better.

I'm not sure it's worth spending this much $ on parts on a 55. I'd go for a piston, but I'm having trouble convincing myself I trust this cylinder.

Hi folks,

Time to resurrect my old thread. After a couple of months getting sidetracked I finally got back to this saw today.

I wasn't able to clean up the original cylinder to a point where I felt safe with it so I ended up using a Chinese no brand cylinder and Episan piston, both from Northwood Saw.

Of some concern were the wrist pin circlips. The ones supplied with the Episan piston were made of a larger diameter wire (0.040 in) than the Husky OEM circlips (0.032 in). I was going to use them but they were very soft and bent as soon as I tried to install them, so instead I used some brand new Husky OEM clips. They seemed to fit fine and are solidly in the circlip groove. I can't but wonder if there will be some future issue due to the Husky circlip wire diameter being smaller than the Episan circlip wire.

Got the saw back together, minus the clutch and bar oil pump, and leak tested it. The saw passed Husky's leak test, but strangely even with new parts the leak rate was slightly higher than when I tore the saw down.

Ran the saw for about 5 minutes, and let it cool down for a hour, and tested compression. 150 psi, which I thought was fair for a saw whose rings hadn't seated yet.

So, before I go any further I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the circlip wire thickness issue.

Back