Help rebuilding an 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7NUT

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This may have come up before, but I am in the process of rebuilding an 044 for a friend, started out with a new P&C since the saw was new to him, but it died not long after I got the P&C installed...didn't even get it back to him yet!?
after it conked out, I noticed the flywheel had rubbed on the new cylinder, thought, uh-oh, bearing must have checked out?
So, never split a case before, but I'm game. When I got it apart, I did not expect this!!!?
BrokenCrank.JPG

So, not what I expected, but that's ok, when my friend bought this saw from some loggers? they gave him their other 044 they had accidentally run over with their truck, as parts...GREAT!
I had removed the 044 tag off the broken cover to put on the other since it didn't have one, but the parts saw didn't say Magnum, so I wasn't thinking Magnum. Now that I have the new bearings in, I need to get the crankshaft in, but oh-no...turns out, the parts saw is a 12mm wrist pin and the other is a 10mm?
So here's the question...can one put a 12mm rod/crank into a 10mm saw, of course adjusting for the obvious, would this be a problem, or should we just get a new crank/rod in the 10mm size?

Back