Here is a question for you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think so. I've seen a 2-stroke dirt bike run backwards.........

Wolfie beat me to it!

Growing up a kid stalled one going up a steep hillclimb, it rolled backwards, and started
I had one start in my shop backing it out the door the Kickstarter caught on an airline started it and IDK how the hell it got in reverse but it took off backwards out of the shop into the driveway.

Piston have a hole in it?
Don't think so, it shows maybe 80 pounds. I think the intake said of the piston and cylinder is scarred, not scored.
The air filter had never been cleaned. Had to drill one of the filter cover screws out. Filter was a solid hunk of wet mortar.
I may pull the top off if I get bored.

Dump little bit of oil into the spark plug hole and then compare compression. If it goes up by about 20 psi the rings are bad or stuck.
You can sometimes see a stuck ring looking carefully through the muffler port.

Yes they should check the same either direction of rotation , but a Wolfe said the flywheel nut will usually come off
What model saw is it???????????

I quite often spin saws backwards to check compression due to the flywheel nut being RH threads. My experience is the compression is the same forwards or backwards on a 2 stroke (reed valve or piston ported). I have not tried this on a rotary valve engine. I suppose the timing of the intake on those might have some effect on compression if air cannot enter the crankcase at the right time.

Mark

The crank end bearing cage Probably broke up and gone up side of cyl.
Happens on ts420

Don't think so, it shows maybe 80 pounds. I think the intake said of the piston and cylinder is scarred, not scored.
The air filter had never been cleaned. Had to drill one of the filter cover screws out. Filter was a solid hunk of wet mortar.
I may pull the top off if I get bored.
may be stuck rings , had saws run with **** oil and fouled the rings up that much they were stuck and not seating against the bore . soon as i clean all the burnt oil out of the ring grooves the compression was good again hope this helps

Also, ts420 starter cup nut is right hand thread, so you could spin correct way with out nut loosening

Also, ts420 starter cup nut is right hand thread, so you could spin correct way with out nut loosening
LOL, I figured that out eventually.
I was using a regular 3/8 ratchet to get the thing unlocked on the flywheel side. You could spin it either way with that.
But, when you put the air ratchet on it spun it loose.

A lot of snowmobiles run backwards to go backwards, that's their reverse lol.
If you had to pour oil in it to get it to turn over it's toast, why waste time doing a compression test just tear it down.

A lot of snowmobiles run backwards to go backwards, that's their reverse lol.
If you had to pour oil in it to get it to turn over it's toast, why waste time doing a compression test just tear it down.
Because the exhaust side of the piston still has the tooling marks and looks like new.

Back