Home depot castoff chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
A friend of mine works in the tool rental dept of home depot. He said that they no longer sharpen their chains after a rental. Each rental goes out with a new chain and the old ones are thrown away. He gave me one of the chains and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. The name on the chain is carlton and the letters nk below the name. It is a 3/8 pitch semi chisel chain. Are these disposable chains or can they be resharpend and reused?
If you know, let me know.

disposable chain - nope. You need to start selling this chain for $1 loop and make some money!:D

I'd say it's easier for them to build the cost of the chain into the rental fee and replace it rather than finding enough qualified people to sharpen them. You'd be pissed if you rented a saw with a mis-sharpened chain.

Might be a liability issue, also. If you rented a saw with a used and sharpened chain and it broke on you and hurt you, they could be liable. Especially since people renting saws tend to abuse them. With a new chain, liability falls back on the chain manufacturer.

That's why it costs about $36 to rent a chain saw for a weekday morning and $40 on Saturday a.m. You get a break for all day...$66.

Jeepers. My most expensive saw was less than that all-day price. Of course, I've seen what a rental looks like after a few years. :eek:

Hmmm... "John's Rent-A-Jons"?

tundrotto was right. u need to have a little talk with this friend. i think hd is going to makita saws tho. im not sure
about the chain on them. i guess they are one of the better saws dressed in blue. have to be tough to stand up to rental.

Back