Homelite C-5, convertible drive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
Stopped at a yard sale today because I thought I saw an Xl-12. When I got closer I saw it was a C-5 with a hardnose bar and .404 chain, I touched it and the seller said "ten bucks" so I took it home. I went to Mike Acres' site and looked at the specs but could find no description of the "convertible drive". Anyone know about this drive system? Anyone want to trade for a running two cube saw?

I believe you swap out the bar cover to switch drives, but I am not 100 percent sure. They are planetary drive. i have some manuals on them in an old intertech book.

What are you looking to trade for. Is this thing a runner ??

Mike

Yep, just looked it up. I was right you swap out the bar cover. Looks pretty cool. If I had a scanner I would send it to ya.

i have one @ work let me know & I can try to send it to you

Mike

Mike, The saw hasn't run in a few years but is complete. I will do a compression test monday and post the results. I am looking for a small "teapot" saw about 35cc or so, ex. a poulan XXV or an XL-2. I will pay to ship the C-5, whomever I trade with will pay to ship the small saw.

I have a newer (1992) Homie XL 14" That is in very good shape.

I got it on E%^&& The only problem: The auto oiler does not work. I have not dug into it yet, but it looks hairy.

Other than that, I doubt it has 20 hours on it.

Mike

Just got me a 25 I'm keeping, but I have an XX I really don't want. It used to run, but it sat a long time. I think it's just the carb diaphragms but I've gone on to bigger and better things.

Is this C-5 set in direct or gear drive mode?

Currently in direct drive mode as labeled on the clutch cover. I NEED a digital camera badly so I can post pictures! Problem is the computer I'm using has no USB ports so the cheap cameras I've seen won't work.

Man, I just sold 10 digital cameras. Still have an Olympus DL-340R in the out box that connects via serial port. Can't trade it for a C-5, but it's there. Also have a really sharp Casio QV-5500SX that'll connect the same way. These are 1.3MP cameras.

Sedanman,
I have a '92 XL2 very good condition always starts and runs great needs just bar and chain. Have hardnose bar though and manual for it. Oh it has a plastic engine cover but not with all the saftey crap growing out of it like the newer ones. Let me know what shape the C5 is in and I might just be willing to trade:D

Think I have quite a few spare parts for the XL2 also, engine etc.

A compresion test would be pointless after removing the exhaust stack and seeing the piston....ouch! Both rings are stuck and the piston is scored, lightly. Anyone still interested? If not it's going on e-bay with full disclosure of the condition of the piston.

Wow, I just saw a NOS cyl, piston, and rings sell on ebay this week. Cant remember what they got for it. I will try to look it up & post it.

Mike

I think I'll pass, but here's something for anyone who wants to restore that C-5: I have a used piston and jug for a C-7 that's in great shape. Saw was hit by a tree many moons ago. I don't know if the stroke is the same for both saws, but that doesn't matter 'cause I also have the crank and connecting rod. I'd imagine you could upgrade that C-5 while it's apart.

Do you know if they use the same piston? Sounds like my set would work in a C-5 stock, or transform it into a C-7 with the crank and rod.

I dont know to be honest. I think you are right though. The C-7 probably has a longer stroke crank & the pistons are the same.

It only makes sense.

Mike

Latest posts

Back