How much time do you spend splitting wood each session before taking a break?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHS

Reaction score
I'm curious how long people are spending when they split wood? And how much wood do you split each session?

I typically split for about 2hrs and then give myself a rest for an hour before resuming or coming back to it the next day. Basically 2 hr sessions.
My goal is roughly 1-2 cords

What do you do?

Same here. When I was young, there were no breaks. I'm pushing 50 now, and my body won't do that any more. In the summer, I'd say I stop every 5 to 10 minutes because it always seems to be over 90 degrees when I manage to find time to split wood. In cooler weather, I can go a lot longer. It also depends on exactly what I'm splitting. I used to split everything by hand, so splitting a big 30" round of locust or oak would require a short break afterwards. Now I split that stuff with a hydraulic splitter, so most of what I'm doing by hand only needs split one time, or maybe twice (quarters). In that case, in cool weather, I may go for a couple of hours because I'll split several rounds, then go move them out of the way, and set up several more, then go back to splitting. In that scenario, the breaks are built into the work cycle.

I'm curious how long people are spending when they split wood? And how much wood do you split each session?

I typically split for about 2hrs and then give myself a rest for an hour before resuming or coming back to it the next day. Basically 2 hr sessions.
My goal is roughly 1-2 cords

What do you do?
by hand or hydraulic splitter? hydro splitter I can go all day. I don't like to, very boring, but can

It depends. If I'm cutting and splitting out of a deck with a hydraulic splitter, a few hours. If I'm cutting a pickup load out on public lands, I'll split that by hand, so it's probably less time each load. But that's only about a half cord each trip. Driving home gives me a break.

Back