How much time do you spend splitting wood each session before taking a break?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 63 and still split everything by hand, it takes longer.
I do have an outside wood boiler so a 15"-20" block can be simply be a 1 hitter.
With age we hope to gain wisdom, we hope šŸ˜.
I live in the mountains of Western VA and have an abundance of firewood so I simply target Red oak and Chestnut oak, stuff that splits easy.
If I happen across some White oak or Elm I just noodle the big stuff.
Just stay safe, take your time and let your body tell you when to take a break.

I am good for a few hours with the hydraulic splitter and then I stack what I have split. I have so many rounds I am trying to not turn one pile into another so I stack in between splitting.

I am good for a few hours with the hydraulic splitter and then I stack what I have split. I have so many rounds I am trying to not turn one pile into another so I stack in between splitting.
63 for me.. if i draw a line across a big round and it doesnt pop, i go get the splitter. If i dont have the splitter with me, i will wittle them down to carrying size. Sometimes i am sure the fuel tank on the splitter is too big... Have to stop at the beverage receptacle when going for splitter fuel. Just sayin.

63 for me.. if i draw a line across a big round and it doesnt pop, i go get the splitter. If i dont have the splitter with me, i will wittle them down to carrying size. Sometimes i am sure the fuel tank on the splitter is too big... Have to stop at the beverage receptacle when going for splitter fuel. Just sayin.
Never really thought much about time wise. Depends on location, weather, what other 100 things on the list. I suppose i split a less amount more frequently now. But i usually have a six pound and an eight pound maul for most sessions.

In the old days, 6 Am till the Cops show up at 10 pm with two of us, nowadays 2ā€“3 hrs steady.

I've had the cops show up a few times for different things...but never while splitting wood. I hate to ask...but what type craziness was going on there?

Back