How? Removing stumps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalmos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to clear about 2 acres of 12" trees.

What is the best way of removing the tree stumps once the trees are down? :confused:

Hmm, that's a sight to think about. Drill and charge every stump in the two acres, wire together with primacord, hit the plunger... :)

Use a excavator if you can get ahold of one, I use my 330 Cat it pulls stumps like nothing.

Or you could use dynomite!:rolleyes: :blob5:

Hope that helps

the last time i did this, i got a local farmer with a big tractor, steiger 4 wheeler. i paid him a couple hundred bucks, i think, and he pulled out about 60 stumps. those tractors will pull out some good size stumps pretty easily. leave about 2 feet of stump, so you can get a hold of it.

I want to clear my own land and need advice. If you have nothing helpful to say then why waste the space! Thanks to the rest.

Originally posted by kalmos
I want to clear my own land and need advice. If you have nothing helpful to say then why waste the space! Thanks to the rest.

No need to get your panties in a bind. Many guys here enjoy joking around, but most will help in any way they can. Sometimes you gotta laugh your way through the jokes in order to find the answers, but it is all meant in good nature. No one here means you any harm, just wasting time and having fun. :D

Jokes are legal, no harm done.

I'd agree with Oakman. A good-sized tractor, maybe a crawler if one's handy, should do the job well. Find a friendly local guy and head over with some beer.

I suppose you use a stump grinder if you didn't have a choice, but that's lousy for this kind of thing. Plus, you'd end up with sinkholes when they rot away.

Well, if you can't find your useful help (several good answers already), then we will gladly refund your purchase price! :p

Kalmos,

Dynamite is an option, not just one I'd choose. Short of finding someone with a tractor to do it for free or real cheap, your best bet would be to hire an excavator or large dozer. In the long run it will be the most cost effective method. In any event I wouldn't worry too much until you actually have a saw to make a stump.:)

Smile & laugh, life's too short.

Hi
I clear many lots a year and people always ask me the same question.If you push the trees out with the stumps on them and then cut them up,it will come out a lot cheaper for you.It really doesn't matter what type of equipment you use to get them out,it will be faster if you use the weight of the tree to your advantage, it will take a lot less time.I can clear a lot in about half the time if I can push over the whole tree and not just remove the stumps.Time is money.
Later
Dan

i would agree that pushing the whole tree over is the fastest, easiest way. however, it sounds like kalmos is on a tight budget here, and is looking to do most of the work himself, if possible. i don't know about anywhere else, but around here, a big machine like a dozer/ excavator, goes for around 250 bucks an hour, minimum. i tried pulling out the whole tree with a big 4 wheel tractor once, but with a 40 or 50 foot tall tree, you need about twice the length of chain or cable so the operator don't get wacked by the tree, and that means somebodys gotta haul that thing back after every pull, plus you gotta get the cable up the tree far enough to get the leverage to tip it over, one heck of a work out. finally said to heck with this, and dropped 'em all with saw. the guy had a straight blade for his machine, but it wouldn't go high enough, or was stout enough for the job.

Oakman,
$250 an hour !!!:eek: I can go rent a midsize machine for a day for that price. With a skilled operator our going rates are less than half of that per hour.

Kalmos, what are you going to do with the stumps after they are pulled? In Mass they are now treated as hazardous waste and trucked to a special "stump dump", no more digging big pits and fillin' em up around here.:D

That could be another advantage to having an excavating contractor do the stumping. He's probably got the truck/s if they need to be hauled.

Brian, I think that vehicle needs a lift kit, or something...:D

newfie,
round here its 250 minimum for the first hour, 150 per hour after that for backhoe-small dozer with operator. so right there is 1300 bucks for 8 hours. more for a large track hoe or dozer. there ain't nobody round here that will rent you a dozer big enough to do that job. we got a 450 case dozer. i spoze you could push 'em over with it. have to see the trees, first. you'd have a time of it with a backhoe. you might claw 'em down with the hoe, but i wouldn't try it.

Ask the local government about fires

Don't have a clue as to what your local governmental controls are about burning a stump. Where I'm at the policia come by when you fire up a barbecue pit. Can't even fiire up a gas lantern it is so dry here.

Back