How? Removing stumps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a medium dozer JD 550 or Cat D5 or bigger can do the job. Just look for rental places. It might take awhile but what i used to do is work around the stump breaking the roots in the direction i wanted the tree to fall and then i would push them over. Yeah its easier if you have a D6R or a 70,000 lb dozer where you can just dig in and push it over. Alright, back to the job at hand. Just break all the roots around the stump and then push them out. Piece of cake. best of luck

i know somebody ,wouldnt last half a day
working with the boys around here.
u cant mix an play a little bit. u get played with.

Stumps

Kalmos,If your area allows burning,let them dry out.I have had difficulty getting pine stumps to burn,They will blaze up, turn black, then smolder/stink for days.In my area, people either use a tub grinder(exspensive) or haul them away. Best of Luck

Burning is always fun if you are not in a hurry. If you are burning cut the stumps to about 6inches. If you are going to pull I'd leave em tall 4ft. I've seen someone with a backhoe go down 6ft to try to get a 40in pine stump out -whole stump took about 1hr. How do I get my hands on some dynamite? Will cherry bombs work?
Greg

I didn`t see anyone mention to Kalmos, that if he is going to do the job himself with a dozer, to make sure there is a good protective cage or protective roof structure to save him from falling limbs. 12" trees probably aren`t going to have too many dead limbs, but pushing them with a dozer will definitely shake out those that are there. A 450 size machine with a PAT blade will do the job the way confused described, but a bigger machine is better. You will probably want to run a root rake over the area when you are done to pick out all those roots that were sheared off by the blade. A trackhoe will definitely do the job, but then you need the dozer to grade with anyway. Around here, Central NY State, 450 size dozers start at around $1500 + delivery/wk. Alot of times you can take a nice step up size for not that much more, for example, a local business rents an 1150 Case for $2K/wk, and a 1450 for $2200/wk last time I needed one. Just food for thought. Russ

Oh Yeah....

Forgot to point out that those prices are just for the machine, no operator, and of course you must pay for fuel, which can be substantial. Russ

Not sure what you mean by wanting to do it yourself, Ax and shovel?
What I did was to go around to a few neighbors that had dozers sitting around until I found a farmer that lived down our road. He is willing to do it for $75/Hr and doesn’t even have to truck it in. I know there are always guys around looking go get paid for using the little used dozer he bought because he wanted it, not because he needed it.

Oregon Rob has about the most sensible answer...look around at your neighbors' places and ask them what they would do. Most of them have lived there for a long time and are familiar with the soils, climactic conditions (dry sand releases trees easily, dry clay is like concrete) and tree species.

There are always several ways to skin a cat. Work with what you got (neighbors). Later, you'll be living with these folks anyway, might as well get started on building relationships with 'em

My dad cleared about that same amount of area by dropping the trees himself and had a guy come in with his small dozer and push all the stumps out and pile them up for $300!!!

He's been burning them slowly but surely over the last year:p They're full of mud and he has to bang them around with his tractor to knock it off little by little.

Excellent ideas. We were thinking of leaving 2-3 feet for a stump and pushing it out. I just wanted to see if there was other ways of doing it. Thanks to all of you. :blob2:

eyewolf mention an excellent point in the fact that soil type and species makes a big difference. Unless the two acres are completely filled with 12'' or larger trees most dozers should be able to complete the job in 4 hours. They could remove the trees and pile them. You would have to burn them. It really does not take a large dozer just a skilled operator. There is a tremendous amount of dozers in our area. The contractors have sold all there D-7-D-8 class dozers to farmers and bought smaller more agile machines. In our area even the largest dozers are running about $70-80/hour. If you were here I would reccomend leaving the trees alone and hiring a dozer. As most all have said removing a stump is tougher than removing an entire tree. We have two dozers and if you were here and I could do it on a Saturday afternoon I would say $300 and a case of beer. The $300 bucks is for the service and the case of beer is for when we are done. It is a Saturday after all.

Back