How to Bring Enormous Crape Myrtle Down to 10 Feet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a crape myrtle which is maybe 15 feet tall. I want it more like 10 feet tall. It's too high for me to get into it and pull out Spanish moss.

Can someone direct me to information on how to prune this thing so it won't be a monstrosity next year? I see people on the web claiming a chainsaw will ruin it.

I'm in Florida. The tree has long growing seasons.

I have a crape myrtle which is maybe 15 feet tall. I want it more like 10 feet tall. It's too high for me to get into it and pull out Spanish moss.

Can someone direct me to information on how to prune this thing so it won't be a monstrosity next year? I see people on the web claiming a chainsaw will ruin it.

Can't you pull moss out with a pole hook?

It would be better than butchering your tree.

I don't want a giant tree overhanging my pool enclosure, and pulling moss out is not that easy when the enclosure blocks access.

I looked at the web and saw that it was possible to prune crape myrtles, so now I want to do it.

I don't want a giant tree overhanging my pool enclosure, and pulling moss out is not that easy when the enclosure blocks access.

I looked at the web and saw that it was possible to prune crape myrtles, so now I want to do it.
Okay, although I don't know what a difference 5 feet is going to make... yes, you can copice them with a chainsaw, sharp chain, high revs, cut slow...

Can you link us up? We are all here to learn. Plus we would love to see the quality of your source material.

We know when we are being trolled.

What was your question again? LOL!

Can you share some links of where you discovered pruning information that is in disagreement with the advice being offered here by career arborist?

We're up to learning something new.
No idea what you're talking about.

The premise is: the tree will be cut back. That is certain, so telling me not to do it is not helpful.

The question is: what's the best way to do it?

I am going to look "coppicing" up.

No idea what you're talking about.

The premise is: the tree will be cut back. That is certain, so telling me not to do it is not helpful.

The question is: what's the best way to do it?

I am going to look "coppicing" up.
Remove-shape 1/3 of the tree off with a power hedge trimmer. Simple as that. I have done hundreds of them. If you can't reach it, call a tree service. PM me if they keep harassing you.

Latest posts

Back