How would you cut the branch circled in red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conner1129

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_3047.jpeg
The plan is to go where the x is and put a face cut and then plunge cut to set hinge then cut next to the tree the same way or just 3 cut it. I don't want to cut it at the base because it seems like too much weight and too long if for some reason the top hits first i feel it would bounce back at me or something

View attachment 1186795
The plan is to go where the x is and put a face cut and then plunge cut to set hinge then cut next to the tree the same way or just 3 cut it. I don't want to cut it at the base because it seems like too much weight and too long if for some reason the top hits first i feel it would bounce back at me or something
Why does it need to be cut, it's in the woods?

That's fine. I was under the impression you wanted to retain the tree.

Just send it.........
Is that safe just a conventional notch since it is so vertical i treat it like a normal hard leaning tree open notch plunge cut set the hinge then cut the trigger? I figure it is borderline necessary to remove it where i put the x first to help release some of the tensions as well correct?

Is that safe just a conventional notch since it is so vertical i treat it like a normal hard leaning tree open notch plunge cut set the hinge then cut the trigger? I figure it is borderline necessary to remove it where i put the x first to help release some of the tensions as well correct?
I would be more worried about the tip hitting the other tree and flipping back at you!

How do you plan to access the area you are planning on making the cut?
I would have my line set in the crotch right above your X, ascend, and while standing on the limb make a small undercut and come down fast with the top cut, then make the final cut to the trunk.

That is
How do you plan to access the area you are planning on making the cut?
I would have my line set in the crotch right above your X, ascend, and while standing on the limb make a small undercut and come down fast with the top cut, then make the final cut to the trunk.
IMG_3047.jpeg
I have a tie in where number 2 is and a throwline over the x so i can pull my self out. Or i could set a throw like in number 1 and basically go straight down because there is a fork you cant see and number 3 is the crotch im guessing you were talking about. But it could also be the crotch to the left of number 2. When i pull my self out i plan on leaving the end of my rope in one of the crotches so i dont have to worry about the end of my rope.

I would be more worried about the tip hitting the other tree and flipping back at you!
That is a perspective issue (camera perspective) i may take better pictures tomorrow but i feel plenty comfortable with its pathing aside from doing it all in one go due to the reasons i mentioned. Aside from it hitting another tree(the fall path is clear i promise) do you see any issues?

That is a perspective issue (camera perspective) i may take better pictures tomorrow but i feel plenty comfortable with its pathing aside from doing it all in one go due to the reasons i mentioned. Aside from it hitting another tree(the fall path is clear i promise) do you see any issues?
Hard to tell from here, but wear a hardhat.

Latest posts

Back