husky 271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just lookin at a 271 pro husky thats
only cut 4 cords of wood .
now wonder why a saw that was sold with at least a 24 or better bar originally,
got a gb bar on it,and it with a 4 cord history. . unless the fella just wanted the original bar ,for another saw.no offence intended but i was thinking about bidding until this occurred to me. its on ebay ,but i wont give the number.
it looks clean and i may still bid on it

Tony, are you sure it wasn't a 371? I think I saw the same saw you saw. Could it have been the same saw you saw? Not sure what saw you saw or what saw I saw. Wow, now I'm not sure what saw I saw!!!!!:eek: :eek:

you are right yukon. im pretty lucky to get the 71 pt right. last month i sent my land payment to pay my advertiser.and vice versa. i key on the last two digits as ive learned that w huskies thats close to the displacement.when i get one ,i want it to be as solid as my 028 s, as they were bought used also.thats why im takin my time.
whew:eek:

different bar on a Husky 271

I have a Husky 271 and it's a great saw. The saw can take a variety of bar lengths and perhaps the seller changed from the original length to one that solved his cutting purposes. GP bars are cheaper than Husky bars so that is probbaly why it's mounted.

Best,

Lou

Oops on the number 271

I think you mean a 371 Husky not a 271. I just looked at my saw and it's a 371. A 372 has the heated handle I believe.

Lou

After cutting 4 cords of wood, the original bar wouldn't be worn out, but would look, well, somewhat used. The guy took good care of the powerhead, took feeble pictures that don't show blemishes well, and it does look new...I imagine he's hoping to get $500 or more out of it.

Even if it has been used enough by a non-pro to wear out a bar, there is likely still life left in it. We've all known users that can't or won't sharpen a chain; instead they just gnaw away, making fine dust, and destroying bars. You can eat up cylinders that way, too, but if you arrange with seller that you return the saw if it doesn't produce, say, 140# of compression, you should be safe.

Good luck. I want that saw too...I'd put the innards under the hood of my JOns 670, but I can't justify more than about 1/2 of what it will go for, for that use!

4 cords on a 371

4 cords on a 371 is nothing, the saw isn't even broken in yet. I bought my 371 on ebay and I think I paid about $340 for it, plus shipping (a new one is about $520.) It needed a chain stop and a tuneup, all of which cost about $30. It starts right up and blasts thru trees by its weight alone. Husky recommends getting the saw tuned for your elevation it runs at a higher RPM then most saws so the air fuel mixture should be adjusted by someone who knows the saw.

4 cords isn't much for any decent chain saw; I think the thread parent is concerned that the seller is not being completely honest, or at least allowing the buyer to come to his own conclusions regarding the condition of the saw.

As to the price: not to pick a fight, but I'd defy anyone to buy a new 372 (371 is discontinued) for under about $575, with bar and chain, and that would almost certainly have to be internet/mail order, so shipping would be added. Chances are local dealer would want about $650, give or take.

I've been thinking a lot about buying mail order saws lately: I've bought a couple of new ones, and in a way it really wasn't a savings...I saved a little money, but didn't get a smile, handshake, a free hat, oil, file, refrigerator magnet, etc., etc., and I feel like I cheated the local guy...who knows I feel like I cheated him, and gives me the razz about it when I stop in...:eek:

tony, its not necessarily true that saw came with a Husqvarna bar. There are many dealers that will sell a saw and you specify the bar. That could be the original. I would hope that even if it isn't the original, the bar was replaced to make the saw look good to sell, and not because he wore it out on only 4 cords of wood, even if it was ironwood. Still a good price, and a good saw.

Re: Oops on the number 271

No, a 371 can have the heated handle as well. (XPG)
Cheers, ****.

Originally posted by Lou Scrima
I think you mean a 371 Husky not a 271. I just looked at my saw and it's a 371. A 372 has the heated handle I believe.

Lou

372 Pricing

Hi Eyolf, at one of my local dealers, Commercial Cutters, you can have a 372XP for $549 with an 18" or 20" bar or $559 with a 24" bar. Their shipping is reasonable by all accounts, you can call them for a quote. They are also a full service dealer, unlike Alamia, and I won`t comment on any exact details of my transactions there, but who`s to say you won`t get any freebies, that`s up to each individual to work out. Local power pricing around here for a 372 is $639.99, but the biggest jerk offs, the ones who wouldn`t service your saw if they knew how, tell you the saw retails for $699 and that`s what they expect. I`m all for buying from a local servicing dealer, but if you paid more than I did, but you got an extra freebie, was it really free? I make no bones about it with anybody I have to deal with, if you expect me to pay you more for a product, there had better be credible evidence that I will also get superior service if I need it. Most people don`t seem to want to accept the challenge. Russ

Back