Husky 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, now I know that its a consumer saw, and well thats what I am looking for, now I have already ordered it. I need it for general cleanup, loaning out, and maybe for my annual cristmas tree cut. here is a short list of saws I own so please dont try and sell me. Husky 372XP, Stihl 036, 039, 041AV. ans the two I dont count Poulan (not so) Wild thing, and a Remington Electric. I am checking to see if anyone owns or has owned a Husky 345, and how many problems have you had with it (if any)-Matt

A buddy of mine has one that has a problem with getting enough oil to the chain - non adjustable oiler is a pain. Russ (Jokers) has seemed to get some real good use out of his after some muffler mods.

I`ve had my 345 since last year at about this time. I use it for an atv saw so it sees some nasty duty at times but my dad also used it to cut nearly 5 face cord of small diameter(<10") hardwood one day. He`s 67 and been riding a desk for quite a few years so he picked it over one of the heavier, more powerful saws. I was surprised that HE had the stamina. Muffler mods made a huge improvement, I also pulled the limiter caps and tweaked the carb for max power in the cut. I like the idea of just trimming the ears off the limiters better though, just hadn`t thought of that when I did mine, those tiny screws are a bear to get a screwdriver on. I`ve cut about 20 miles of new trail with this saw so I think it`s getting used quite a bit and it`s holding up well. The only beef I have is with the oiler like Otto pointed out, it is a little weak once the temperature drops, you definitely have to use winter bar oil with this saw in cold weather. I run an 18" powermatch bar with some old style 34 something or other, semi chisel, and it works well for dirty work. It really sings through small clean wood with 34LG. I think it`s a great saw for what you describe, you don`t have to cringe so much when you abuse it a little. Russ

I have built up a 345 husky. I'm a stihl guy and I really like how the saw turned out. I think that the saw is a real runner and with a little TLC and a dreamel any 345 could perform better. For and oil pump use the one out of the 350. Also get a drum and rim sprocket (7 pin) from a 346xp (Just put it on you will see) The book says no but I have one on mine and it is great. When I get the 12 race bar ready I'll put on an 8 pin. :angel:

Later,
Chris

Back