Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this board, and relatively new to chainsaws. I wanted to know if you guys thought it would be worthwhile to modify a Husky 359 to gain a little performance. If so, what could be done? Would muffler modifications make it run a little stronger?

Dirk,
The newer 359's are nice saws with a closed loop system. What makes them nice to modify from a builders stand point is the portholes that can be opened to do the transfers. If I were to modify this saw for saw work then I would do the following:

Jug:
Intake, exhaust and Transfers (open and increase durations)
then depending on squish up the compression

Piston: would be shaved to help out flow

Carburetor: would have EPA restrictors removed

Muffler: would decome a duel port stock appearing (I don't do duel Pipes) with spark screens.

Check out this 345CC I built: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6324

I would also check out with some other builders like Ken Dunn and Dennis on this sight.

Hope this is helpful.

Later,
Chris

The biggest improvement you can get in performance is to learn how to properly sharpen a chain. This isn't something that one can do right the 2nd or 3rd time they try it. All the muffler mods in the world won't help if the chain is a little dull. The vast majority of homeowners with chainsaws never get to utilize more than a small amount of the potential cutting ability of their saws because their chain is almost always dull.
It took me 5 years to get decent at filing a chain. After 17 years I'm decent enough to keep an old chain cutting like a brand new one, but nowhere near as good as someone like Art Martin.

Thanks for the help guys. This really is great site, I find myself checking it out pretty much everyday.

I really do like the saw in its stock condition. I just upgraded from a 55 Rancher, which I also really liked. I guess you could say I'm starting to get the "bug".

I'd like to start out with something simple that I could do myself, that's why I mentioned the muffler modifications. Would that alone make a noticeable difference in performance, or just make the saw louder (which, by the way, wouldn't be a bad thing)?

Treeclimber165,

You're 100% correct, nothing is more important than a sharp chain. Over the past two years I've gotten pretty good at sharpening, although there's always room for improvement. I've tried a few different techniques: Dremel tool, hand file with a guide, and now I'm trying out Husky's Sharpforce system. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've ruined my share of chains in the process, mostly with the Dremel tool. It removes too much material, too quickly. I'm much better with a hand file. What do you use?

Hand file, for the last 12-14 years. My first year or two I paid to have chains sharpened. Then I got one of those $35 dremel type 12 volt chain sharpeners, which helped me practice my angles. Then I got to work with a guy who hand filed very well. I watched him intently as he touched up his chain daily. I went home and practiced copying his technique and soon got fairly good. That old 12 volt sharpener is still sitting on a shelf somewhere, plenty dusty I'm sure.

I also prefer the small wooden file handles available at most saw shops. They are usually in a box next to the register for a buck.
(adding this in)- I also use a standard 6" flat file for filing the rakers. Sometimes I use a guide, sometimes I just freehand taking 2-3 strokes on each one. I like using the bench vise when filing rakers.

Last edited:
You should see some of the chains that I've mangled with that Dremel tool!! What's even worse, after I got my very first saw, a Wal-Mart special McCulloch, I decided that it would cut much better if those pesky rakers weren't getting in the way. I filed every single one of them all the way off!! After that, the saw seemed to be a bit "grabby". I wonder why? Live and learn, I guess...

muffler mods

Dirk, if you use the search function on this site you'll find more muffler mod info than you need. Most report approx. 15-20% gain power output. All mine are opened up and you can feel the difference.

Back