husky 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
been reading this forum for a while now and couldnt help but chuckle reading the ongoing stihl/husky "wars". while im sure the stihl is an excellent saw as is the husky - I couldnt help but to try find opinions on this large husky. anyone have one and what do they think?

:p

husky large saw

well, id love to hear about your experiences resulting in your opinion. also, the 395xp is huskys 2nd biggest saw after the 3120xp - and at 7.1hp it is more powerful than a stihl 066magnum (which by the way is stihls 2nd largest saw)

large saws:

husky 3120xp has 9.2hp the stihl 088magnum (Stihls largest saw) has 8.5hp.

Now, seems to me that husky has some pretty big saws - more powerful than stihl even - GO FIGURE!!!! lol

;)

anyway - homeowner junk seems a bit ridiculous of a statement dont you think? it really seems like stihl actually does need to consult with their german performance counterparts at porsche (as i think someone suggested in some other thread)....

ROFL Sonny! :D
The only Husky's I have run more than once or twice are a 3120XP and a 1065(?) I think. On the top end, I think Husky gives you more HP for your dollar, as in the 3120XP. But you don't use these saws all day every day, typically. I, as well as practically every reputable tree service I have seen in the last 15 years, prefer (even numbered) Stihls for anything in the mid range. The 026 and 044 are the ones I see the most. I loved my 038Magnum (4.4 c.i.) that I owned for over 10 years. It is still working daily, at 15 years old!

Both companies make excellent saws, as well as a few duds.
This is startin to feel like a Ford/Chevy debate!

(givin' that horse one more kick, I saw him twitch!:D )

lol, that old horse must have turned black by now...anyway, does anyone have some first hand experience of this saw(395xp), and thoughts...(consumers welcome...lol)

Last edited:
stihl pro saws???

I looked at the bigger stihls last winter and they are big and bulky. My last stihl was a punched 066 mag pretty hot but, very heavy. Not something you want to spend your days with unless your built like Godzilla. The 064s were good but not much for down and dirty in the trenches, not much for bottom end grunt, lots of speed ( owned two ). Huskys are good but, no good service close. Next month I will buy anouther RED, JONSERED that is.2165. Good saw for all day work. Lots of speed, lots of bottom end $525 out the door. Hark, I hear log trucks comming --- must saw!!

I saw an 088 on ebay, I think I will pick it up because I need another anchor for my boat:cool:

Seriously I have not used a 395xp. It is a new model, an improvement over the 394xp. It turns a few more rpm and basically has more all around grunt. The 394 was regarded a little like the 064 and 084 Stihl lots of speed but a little short in the torque dept. The 395XP should give you what you expect in a 7+ hp saw. Then send it to Ken Dunn or Walkers saw shop and you will have more hp than a 3120!!

When I was looking for a larger milling saw I wanted to buy a Husqvarna but they don`t make the big saws with the chain adjustment on the side of the saw and the clear gas tank on the Stihl shows exactly how much fuel you have left.
Customer service seemed a little better at the Stihl dealer, I tried to buy a Husqvarna bar for my 262 Husky and couldn`t get one to fit , wrote Husqvarna and never got a reply ... all little things but they add up.
My Husqvarna has been a work horse but I`m not completely happy with the service.
I bought the Stihl 066.

The saws are so similar these days that dealer support really matters more than which brand! My Husky dealer can get me whatever I want and the Stihl dealer you never talk to the same person twice and they sell everything under the sun, not just saws.

The 395 is a excellent saw,as is it's counterpart the 066 stihl.I used one (395)that the local mill got to try out.I liked it,but I like the 372 better.If Mr. Dunn could make a 385 or 395 run with my 088, I would sell Husky man a boat anchor and get a385 or 395 and have it modified by someone.:D Dan

?

you said you liked the 372 better - good saw im sure (i am VERY anxious;y waiting for mine to be delivered) - but you liked it better than the 395 - lot bigger of a saw - seems like the 372 couldn't come close to the power put out by the 395. Sure there is a weight penalty but why do you say - very curious....

....and thanks to everyone who has ignored the ford/chevy type mouthing off (read: Stihl vs. Husky) - this thread was about opinions about the 395 saw ... and experiences with it compared to: ....

Thanks guys, im eagerly looking forward to some more experiences!!!

The 372 is 3lbs. lighter and $300.00 cheaper than the 395.For a saw with a bit over 1 hp more I can't see spending the extra cash.But I have an 066 and 088 already so I have a big saw for large trees.The difference in cutting speed still doesn't justify the extra money either.(for me anyway)I think my wife as already spent the money I saved anyway.:D Dan

otto said: you said you liked the 372 better - good saw im sure - but you liked it better than the 395 - lot bigger of a saw - seems like the 372 couldn't come close to the power put out by the 395. Sure there is a weight penalty but why do you say - very curious....

Personaly, I like big saws too. But keep in mind that the typical tree service deals with a heck of a lot more brush than big wood. A 3120XP won't do you much good brushing out a huge removal, it is only good for the 3 cuts on the trunk so the crane or boom truck can load it. Bigger isn't better, only bigger. I specialized in removals, loved working down huge trees. I used my climbing saw or 026 a heckuva lot more than the big saws. A climbing saw or 026 with a properly sharpened chain can brush out a big lead faster than a big saw.
When I did big removals, the typical routine was to brush out before lunch, then load wood after lunch. The smaller saws were used a heckuva lot more than the big monsters, but the big saws were necessary for the biggest wood. A lot of times the big saw wouldn't even be pulled out of the box till after lunch.

treeclimber - i see what you are saying to an extent.

however, you are saying that 3 big cuts to a trunk does it. (maybe it does in strict removal terms - but what if you have to make it into firewood, not just remove)

ok, how about this 36" thick hickory - you have to remove the entire tree. ok you fell the tree using a "biggie" then you must still chop it up into the small pieces that are still damn close to 30" thick for a long way up the trunk. would you use the biggie to do this? seems like a tough cookie for a medium (read 372xp) saw on a professional basis - ie time factor/cost not so prohibitive on a business basis due to high level of use.

or would you have something like a 385xp for this specifically? in addition to the:
limbing saw
372xp or equivalent
395xp or equivalent

thanks a lot in advance - you are doing wonders to satisfy my curiosity...

:confused:

I never worked a woodyard, and usually had access to wood loading equipment of some sort or another, so I hardly ever cut big wood up into firewood size. If the customer wanted some wood, they sure didn't want the huge stuff, typically 8"-16" diameter.
I rarely flopped a tree for removal. I found it faster and safer to climb it and piece it down. Eliminates 'loaded' limbs that can snap back and mess up an unexpecting groundman. Even if I did flop a tree, I would use a smaller saw to brush it out. A properly sharpened 026 will limb out up to 12"-15" wood just as fast as a bigger saw, and a lot safer.
Once the brush is cleared out of the way, one man with an 044 or equivilant can cut faster than 2 men can load the wood. That handles everything up to 30" diameter (Which is as big as 90% of your removals).
If you are doing anything bigger than that, you are usually using a crane. Or at least a log truck or Bobcat or some sort of equipment to handle the wood. At that point you pull out the 088 or 3120XP and make 2 or 3 cuts, load the huge wood and stump, and clean up.
Most firewood guys don't want the HUGE wood anyway. They will take anything up to 30" or so, the biggest stuff goes to the dump.

thats the difference my man..thanks for taking the time - i guess the people around here are scottish or something - wood doesnt go to the dump - firewood from standing... to "oven".

no woodyard..

sure any limbing saw will take car of the stuff that may hurt a fence etc. but when felling a tree this size... need a biggie - correct? (i know i would get very frustrated with a POS that couln't do the job. So,

sure you can lop it out faster that the helpers - but heres the catch: would you use the 372xp or the 395 to cut the chunks your helpers are waiting to load/chop? or would you get bored etc? and come and have them "mop up"

and yes a crane is used almost always - and always delimb first. Have reach for a long way - just like to do it better if possiblel

As far as using good wood - they want it so it gets to be chopped up. What is the efficient way of doing this? - still talking about a 36" trunk to splice up to little pieces - 395 or is the 372 enough of a machine to do the job?372xp or the 395

Last edited:
The 372 will do everything the 395 will do,just not as fast.I usually only use my big saws for getting the wood into a size I can handle.I try to keep all the wood as I will sell the firewood to buy new saws and alot of the my other equipment.(about 100 to 130 cords a year).I will use either the 066 or 372 with a 20 inch bar to cut into firewood size until I can't reach completly thur in two cuts.Then once Iget to that point the 088 will be used.It sets alot more than it's used,but when you need it,it's great to have it.The logging I do a 046 or the 372 are used to cut down all but the biggest trees,but then we just don't have the gaints that the guys out west or up north have.It really comes down to if you what to spend $1000.00 on a big saw.I have never been sorry for buying my o88.I take that back,the first day I got it and my wife found out what i paid for it.:D Dan

Tundraotto, I think you are expecting a huge difference between the 372 and 395. It is not as bug a difference as you think. Wait until you get the 372, have a dealer hook you up with the right bar/chain combo (probably 20") with 3/8 full chisel, and try it for a while on your hickories. I think you will find it does just fine and you will not need a $1000 saw that will get a lot less use than you think it will. Let us know how she works.

Back