Husqvarna 61 oiler issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Agrarian said,remove the pump,put some drops of oil in intake hole ( where the hose sit ) and turn by hand the gear 8-10 times at least and see if some oil comes out. First thing to do to eliminate problem. Be sure tiny screw on shaft is there.
Ok so the OEM pump does work. Just tested it. Now what is the next step to check?

Be sure your tank hose is clean,no cut in it and clean the screen at the end.Check if the plastic gear is in good condition,no worn spot on it.Be sure the "dogs" are well aligned with sprocket indents. Be sure the tiny "seal " is over the hollow pin at the back of the pump.Do you have the spacer(washer) under the plastic gear ?Does the pump seems to sit correctly when you install it.Blow air in the hole bringing oil to the blade. And try it WITH a blade/chain on your saw,without it,clutch could unscrew by itself,not a thing you want to see.

Be sure your tank hose is clean,no cut in it and clean the screen at the end.Check if the plastic gear is in good condition,no worn spot on it.Be sure the "dogs" are well aligned with sprocket indents. Be sure the tiny "seal " is over the hollow pin at the back of the pump.Do you have the spacer(washer) under the plastic gear ?Does the pump seems to sit correctly when you install it.Blow air in the hole bringing oil to the blade. And try it WITH a blade/chain on your saw,without it,clutch could unscrew by itself,not a thing you want to see.
Everything is new. I've tried both hoses, both worm gears. I've blown air through the vent and the output holes. The spacer is under the worm gear. At this point I'm uncertain where to look next

I believe I have found the issue. Oil is leaking out from behind the pump. I'm not getting a good seal between the pump and hose I'm afraid. The issue is it's doing it with both hoses.

if oil is pushed out,mostly caused because the saw is kept in a heated place and the only way to release pressure inside the tank is out by the vent.Thats why you often puddle under saw when inside. The only thing left that i could see that you dont have oil coming out,check if the crank seal is flush with the case or inside the case,if too much out,could stop the pump to seal correctly on top of hose.Thats why i asked you if your was well seated.

if oil is pushed out,mostly caused because the saw is kept in a heated place and the only way to release pressure inside the tank is out by the vent.Thats why you often puddle under saw when inside. The only thing left that i could see that you dont have oil coming out,check if the crank seal is flush with the case or inside the case,if too much out,could stop the pump to seal correctly on top of hose.Thats why i asked you if your was well seated.
I do believe it's that area that's causing the issue but I don't think it's the seal. I'm going to do some more digging on it and I'll come back.

Detailed pic of everything might help.
Often, AM parts are not made specifically for one model but several. It is possible those pumps aren't actually compatible with an early 61. I had this problem with a Duke's 288 pump. Went through 2 and returned them...were too big, would not fit. I wound up rebuilding an old oe unit. It leaks but nor badly.

Like Agrarian said,remove the pump,put some drops of oil in intake hole ( where the hose sit ) and turn by hand the gear 8-10 times at least and see if some oil comes out. First thing to do to eliminate problem. Be sure tiny screw on shaft is there.

Have read of some model/s w/ too large oil sump screen, and troubleshooting would find pump intake hose filled w/ sawdust fines from completely clogging hose all the way to the pump. I try to practice using a paint brush to clear gas/oil tank fill caps area before opening.

Here for an update. After two ruined crank seals and swapping between different combinations of o-rings and hoses, I finally have a good pumping oil pump. I ended up using the original OEM pump that came out of the saw. Uncertain of which one was the actual issue but I'm thankful I have another saw thats useful again. Thanks for all the replies and assistance.

Latest posts

Back