Husqvarna - revs + smokes when tilted down, bogged when level

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmender

Reaction score
Hello! Long time lurker here and finally made my account to post!

Trying to get some help diagnosing my old Rancher 55. Yesterday I was bucking + cutting up a blown over ~24in beech. All went pretty well in the morning where I got through 2 tanks of gas and cut up the trunk. I stopped for lunch, sharpened the chains a bit and resumed to cut the major limbs, that's when the saw refused to rev up when I hold down throttle. It still speeds up, but not enough to actually cut wood.

I pulled the air filter and try to block the air intake a little. First time the saw immediately sped up, second time and going forward the saw did not speed up or just dies.

I let the saw cool down and pulled the plug, it's normal looking but slightly slick, maybe running too rich? I installed a new plug + adjusted the H+L knobs, but neither had any effect on saw, idle or full throttle. That's when I discovered tilting the saw blade downward towards ground allowed the saw to rev to normal rpm (by sound) and at same there was thick blue smoke. It was bogged down when I tried to cut but at least it cut through thin limbs. As soon as I return the saw to level, it stops revving again.

I think it's a carb adjustment issue? But the knobs had absolutely no effect so idk. Was hoping to spend this weekend cutting up some ash that I scored at local wood + limb dump and hoping saw is running by that time.

edit: There's also a lot of thick-looking bar oil being flung around occasionally. In fact a few minutes and my driveway was covered by those thick mucus-like drippings. Not sure if this means anything or not.

is the gasket one of those "dies all of a sudden" part or "slowly degrades in performance over time" part? Saw was running good the week and the morning leading up to the problem surfacing.

Fill tank right to the very top, if goes away or less. Bad fuel line as Stihl tech said. Can also be the little impulse pipe, as they crack etc after 20 years and carb mounting surface as screws into plastic and can strip easily when carb reinstalled and screws tightened. Manifold can also be cracked as it opens up more depending on certain movement of saw

Filled up the tank all the way - no change.
I ordered + received a carb kit from Amazon ($20) today, and it includes a new fuel line. I'll swap these out next couple of days before venturing onto the more complicated tests.

Back