Hydraulic Fluid Squirting out Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys. That time of the year I start splitting and catching up in the forum. Hope you all been well!

I've had an issue with a leaky pump past 2 yrs but today the fluid was squirting out the fill plug up top. Does this mean the pump has failed or something else? Thank You.
Phq3MUAh.jpg

5aRjtR0h.jpg

The pump
First question. Is the splitter level?
Second question. Is there a possibility water got in the tank since you last split? (Milky fluid).
Good questions. Yes level. No to water. The pan got some water in it though i never cleaned out.

The dipstick is showing overfilled which it wasnt last week. i just used it again for 15 minutes no issues.

Odd. If the pump was failing would it squirt out that fill plug?

The pump

Good questions. Yes level. No to water. The pan got some water in it though i never cleaned out.

The dipstick is showing overfilled which it wasnt last week. i just used it again for 15 minutes no issues.

I don't think the pump failing would cause it to push oil out the cap if the splitter was working normally I don't think temperatures up your way would expand the fluid that much. Maybe @sean donato has some input. He knows some hydraulic stuff.

The pump

The oil level in the tank will vary as the cylinder extends and retracts. In other words, if the tank is full with the cylinder extended it'll be overfull when the cylinder retracts.

The oil level in the tank will vary as the cylinder extends and retracts. In other words, if the tank is full with the cylinder extended it'll be overfull when the cylinder retracts.
Oh snap. I never knew this and probably why it was overfull because I added fluid woth cylinder extended. And thats probably why it was squirting out. Makes sense. Thanks!

You should have a few inches if head room in the tank when it's full to allow for expansion when the fluid gets hot, even over winter I can still manage to get fluid up to 150*, it expands more then you'd think. Yes cylinder fully retracted for checking fluid level. Very likely the cause of your issue.

Back