I need chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree girl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am some what new in the tree industry or at least legally right.. I am looking for chippers like the one I already have which is the old drum chippers used by Asplundh known as a Altec... Parts are very hard to find as I have just noticed.. The main part I am looking for is the whole wheel and shaft for 12" if thats possible I am starting to wonder... Seems that I would be better off to buy this new and not looking for that purchase at this time if you know what I mean......

If you know of any thing that might be helpful.........:angel:

I've run across a couple badly beaten up ones at auctions I wish I would have bought $400! Altec should still have parts I don't know how much a new drum would be but heres their # 800-331-1038, they're in NC so you could probably pick it up.
What happened to the drum anyway? I have an old Asplundh too, just curious.

Love my Asplundh Whisper chipper its probably the best running piece of equipment i own!
Hey Todd? Where do you send your blades for sharpening?

On my chipper

What happen was a bolt had came out and caused one of the blades to catch.. It locked the whole thing up ( the wheel ) and of course the shaft snapped between the blower and feeder wheel..
The new shaft is going to cost $3,375. so you see where I am right now.. I could almost buy another one for that price.. I was hoping to get it used, but you know how that goes...
My luck I will find a used one after I replace this one...
I am going to have it machined if all else fails.... I know that is not what I would say to be a safe choice , but yet again I am in a bind here..

Originally posted by DDM
Hey Todd? Where do you send your blades for sharpening?
Tom D. gave me the idea to check where the local printers get theirs sharpened and I found a place in MD that does a nice job, the blades are almost identical to the ones the presses use. I tried the other places that adv. in the mags and they screwed up my blades too many times:angry:

Tree girl: That sucks! I would get it machined too if it's going to be cheaper or just get another one and use that one for parts, if it's older you should be able to find a whole chipper for that price.

I don't feel so bad now , I had a machine shop drill out 9 of the blade adjusting bolts for me that were froze and they tried to charge me $1900! I about knocked the guy out, I tried to go back and just take my chipper but didn't want to go to jail. I got them down to $900 and called it a lesson:( They must have put the newest guy they had on that job and it took him a week, not my fault!
Damb do I sound angry in this post or what:D

Tree Girl Try Davey tree service they always have a surplus of them they use for parts they sell them off now and then.

Todd next time you change blades try some anti seize on the threads.;)

JPS your right Whispers are evil and ive had more than one nitemare about being eaten by it but Man
can you eat up a bunch of limbs in a hurry.and get
whipped no matter What approach you use to feed it
i found that standing back about 15' and throwing
at the inlet works best and the run by method works well to :D

Thanks DDM.....

I am willing to try just about anything at this point in time..
Its unreal what people want for these things, but a must they are in the tree industry.. right.. !!
I am currently doing the rental thing and that just seems like such a waste of money... A week would about pay for mine to get fixed on the cheaper route....

Thanks for the help I will give
that a try...
:alien:

tree gal !!!
Give this lady a try. Linda at 1-800-700-1020 tell her Sonny sent ya & maybe she will cut you a deal.

Todd have you changed the bed knife in your chipper yet? mine doesnt need it yet but if you could give me a brief instruction on it i'd appreciate it.

You should check bed knife/anvil tolerance everytime you change the blades on every chipper. The tightere the tolerance the less strain on the engine. A buddy of mie was shocked that the factory tolerance on his machine is .045-.025in.

DDM , do you mean the anvil 1"x1" bar? or the bed plate? I have changed the anvil and turn it once in a while but haven't done the plate. The anvil you just take the big bolts out on the front and drop it through the bottom. One thing I don't understand is why they make the anvil height adjustable, if it's too high it won't pull the branches in at all, took me a while to figure that out:alien: I just put it level to the bed plate and adjust the blades to the anvil, takes more time but it works much better.

I always Adjust the tolerance when i change the blades I never just stick a new set in every set ive measured varies atleast .015 from end to end. i set them at .020 last time but i'm sure the bed knife 1 x 1 Bar has to be beat up or need surfacing i just couldnt look at it and figure out how to remove it.

Have you got your part?

Hey, I was looking at the more of the listings and seen your. I don't know where you live but there are a few good places around Atlanta, GA, I just listed a chipper for sale, I'm new to this stuff, if you have not found one let me know and I'll get you some $#'s up.

Thanks Tia

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back