I Opened Er Up!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With a little help from Russ (Jokers) I opened up the muffler on my 372 (my toolmaker skills finally paid off).... It looks a lot like the picture of the 385 Ken posted a while back. I got a chance to run it a little tonight.....not sure if it's my imagination.... but, it seems to be more responsive and more powerful. Not sure if it's just the added noise or if I really did get results. I kinda like the "new" sound:D
Just curious why does John Walker and (I think) Dennis modify their mufflers with pipes and Ken adds an extra hole?

Hi Yukon, thanks for the recognition, but I was really just sharing what has been so graciously shared with me. I`d like to see a pic if you get a chance. I`ll bet that being milled makes it look really slick. I think that muffler mods, when done correctly, offer the most bang for the buck. I`d be surprised if you didn`t get some real gains. I think the primary reason that Ken has chosen to place a hole in the bracket, rather than use pipes, is to easily allow use of a spark arresting screen where required. It also maintains a more stock appearance, which to some is a plus. BTW, had lunch with my good friend Tom Frechette yesterday, he says anybody from Tupper has to be a good guy, go figure. Russ

muffler mods

hello yukon 659
when we first started modifing mufflers we used two round holes 5/8 inch in the front of the mufflers, then we used two pipes in the front or sides depending on the muffler. then the hot set up was two pipes cut on a 45 degree slant inside the muffler. all these methods work if the size of the extra port or tubes are the proper size. if you get the area of the extra port too big power will fall off . when we made the extra port to big or added a third port we would lose cutting speed.also when the ports are the proper size adding your screens does not reduce the power. on the 372-385 muffler its also easier to put the extra port in the brace and muffler. you should run screens also to keep sparks, hot carbon , from flying out and to keep debris from working back into the muffler and motor. and the last reason is the forestry doesn't think its modified when done with the port in front and a screen in place. out here in cal. they will send a faller home if they see 2 or 3 pipes sticking out of your muffler.
hello russ,
well, how did the 372 we did for you run?
Ken
[email protected]

Ken, thanks for the information. The extra port in the bracket looks a little "cleaner" to me. I would like to post a picture for you but, I'm unable to at this time. I hope you don't mind that I copied your concept, the type of use I get out of my saws just didn't justify putting the extra money into them.....but I did want to do a muffler job and my "skills" (or lack of) as a toolmaker made it possible. Can I refer to the muffler as a "Ken Dunn Knock Off":D LOL

Thanks, Jeff

kd372xp

Hi Ken, funny you should ask about the 372. I`ve finally had a chance to put some time on it and I`m impressed. I was thinking about starting a thread about it when I got home last night, but I didn`t know how to word it. Let me tell you why, since you broached the subject, and maybe I won`t sound like I`m just spouting off. I don`t want to disparage anyone else who has built a saw for me either, gotta keep in mind that noone else has built a 372 for me. Thing is, this 372 FLAT OUT SCREAMS! Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, it`s the baddest saw on the block, bar none. Running identical new 73lg chains on 20" bars, the 372 keeps up with my 385, every cut. This is in sound Maple, bar buried cuts. I haven`t tried a comparison of the 385 and 372 with longer bars, the 385 should have the edge when I slap the 34" on, but you just can`t overfeed this beauty for what I`m doing. The 371 became my favorite when it first came out, and subsequent 371/372s lived up to that standard. My KD372 sets a whole new performance standard. I cant wait `til it`s broken in. Thanks Ken. Russ:D

jokers,

Is the 385 stock or also modified?

I'd think, that once broken in, it should come close to a stock 395 or single port muffler stock 066. Maybe not my dual port 7.7 hp older 066's.

My 372 has only had Madsen's light tretment, and cut close to 12% faster than a stock 372, same bar/chain.

My greffardized 3120 is a beast!!!! I hope Doug brings his 3120D to Clearwater so we can compete, without the pipe of course...It was Dennis's first 3120, but I'd say he dun good.....for a one planker....with a bum finger......

stock modified 3120

hello robert,
I'm going to try to get to clearwater this summer, I'll bring my 394 and my 3120. enclosed is a photo of the 3120. its just a little over stock. i've got a muffler for it somewhere if you bring your 3120 and doug brings 3120 it should make for some good racing. john lambert and robert andrews are going to bring thier 088's and ill loan you my pipe. we'll see how they all run.
ken
kdhotsaw

Hi Ken, that saw looks like one cant get enough of it, as in solid, fast and sharp.
Forum: Is there some particular reason why chainsaws turn our cranks?
My rendition: Chainsaws are a gentle way of saying " I Love You"
Timber Challenged Timber Tramp

Just a little over stock.........Gee, where have I heard that?! Well, Ken, I'll definitely be there with my 3120G to make it a three way race, as long as Doug brings his little muffler. You did build his as a woods saw, right.....? But I'll jump at the chance to run one of the pipes on mine to see/feel the difference...

Hey, all, I just got a well used Husky 2100 with good compression, hadn't been running in a while, it started right up and chewed throught the wood like any good beaver. Just has the common oil leak problem. How do you fix that? And what is the saw worth? Anyone want to buy it? I was told today by an ex saw builder/racer that he used to beat 090's with them in competition. Wonder if this one is buildable?

Ken, do you have a 371/2 muffler kicking around you could build and send to me? That would make my Madsenized baby get up and romp!!! If not, I could send it down, but think I'm too busy to handle the downtime. But maybe if I find the time to fix my 044's. One apparently has a bit of wear on the clutch side of crank in the bearing area I think. it stil runs fine, and the jug looks good. For it, I just got a complete bottom end plus piston/ring for $130 on ebay!!. I got an aftermarket piston/cyl from Bailey's for $99 for the other saw. Dont know what caused it to give out, the shop tested for leaks and found none.

I was bummed that I forgot to bid on a new 372 on ebay, which sold for $504, from the guy in Prince George. I woulda sent it straight to Dennis.

Roger

Ken,

What length bar is on your 3120, 28"?

A built woods saw wouldn't have a chance in most competitions, would it? Even with one of Art's chains?

372 muffler

Hello roger,
Hope you didn't mind being called robert. the bar in the 3120 photo is a 28 inch bar. A lot of the woodssaws I do wind up being run in the local races.they do pretty well if they have really good chain. if the top competitors saws won't run right on alcohol or they throw a chain some of the woods saws will suprise you . they do pretty well. dont have a 372 muffler right now.
Dougs 3120 is a woods saw but it ran pretty well plus it has a pipe. my 084 would cut a 5 second cut with a muffler and a 3 second cut with a pipe in a 18 inch log. same bar, same chain same log.
the 2100 and 2101 husky are great saws . they still win the 6 cube class at most of our races. also make a great modified woods saw, lots of stump power. husky should never stopped making the 2101. just blows the 066 stihl away. E-mail me if you want to sell or trade.
p.s.
I dont think mr babcock ever got one of uncle arts chain
ken
[email protected]
530-589-2744

Hey Ken, just curious, are the screens that you use in your muffler mods. the same as stock screens? I guess what I mean is the mesh size the same?:confused:

Thanks,Jeff

Cool, thanks Ken, perhaps I'll get an Art M chain and enter some of our local comps. Got lots of other stuff going on though.

My friend carries his 2100 in his nice car, so all he needs is the oil leak problem solved. What do you think? A venting issue? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I've had other saws, namely a 154 Husky do that.

A cherry 3120 just sold for $575 on ebay!!!

Rog

Hi Roger, my 385 is Greffardized and it runs very well. In all fairness, if I were to make every cut with the 372 and 385 like I were competing, ie: forcing the saw through the cut as much as possible for quickest times, I would expect the 385 to smoke the 372. I don`t know how anybody else is doing it but when I am doing alot of bucking I generally don`t apply alot of force to the saw, I let the saw and sharp chain do the work. You know how you get a feel for a saw, how much force for optimal output without wearing yourself out too early or being right on the edge of the powerband all the time. I like to use only enough effort to keep the chips flying, with the engine and chain speed as close as possible to max. I don`t know from experience how the 385 compares to a new, stock 395, should do well, but the city guys won`t take their 066 off the truck when I`ve got the 385 out. They don`t want to be embarrassed. LOL. Russ

jokers,

That sounds kinda like what another fella has told me:

His 346 XP-W keeps up with his 372XP-W in small wood.

Wonder how the 385G would stack up against my 3120G in wood under, say 28"? The 3120 has less rpm, and I suppose the power band is lower also. You'd think the 385 would outcut it, especially if you were letting the saw do most of the work. Can you run a 9 tooth sprocket with a stock bar? The way mine cuts, I'd bet a 10 tooth would work too, if it could be gotten on.

Mr Dunn, help me out here, please, sir....

Russ...it would almost seem that Yoda is withholding information on me now wouldnt it? lol...have to chat with him about that...

Roger...there are 9, 10, 11, and 12 tooth sprockets out there..ask Gyroboy about putting a 12 tooth on an 088...lol..Robert Andrews knows where to get these sprockets...

Hey Dennis, I don`t know that Yoda is holding anything back from you since I haven`t run one of your 372s or a 2171 I have no basis for comparison. I sure would like one of those pretty red and black beauties but I don`t know if I want to give my Huskies a complex by lavishing alot of attention on their pretty cousin from out of town. Ya know saws have feelings too! Maybe if we ever do that Camo Poulan deal. I think the Huskies would be more accepting of a new Jonsered in their domain if they knew I had to give away a Poulan to get her there. Russ

Back