identifying chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrypac

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought 6 chainsaws for $35 at a yard sale this morning. 2 Husky, 2 Stihl and 2 Partner. The only 2 that have model #'s are a Stihl 028 and a Partner P55. There is a large Husky that has to be 75 or 100 cc. There is a a Stihl 051 filter cover that fits the big Stihl saw for 3 screws but one screw hole is out in space. So my question is: Is there any wayto identify saws that do not have a sticker or plate? I'm pretty sure that some parts fit multiple saws, so part numbers might not help. Any advice?

I bought 6 chainsaws for $35 at a yard sale this morning. 2 Husky, 2 Stihl and 2 Partner. The only 2 that have model #'s are a Stihl 028 and a Partner P55. There is a large Husky that has to be 75 or 100 cc. There is a a Stihl 051 filter cover that fits the big Stihl saw for 3 screws but one screw hole is out in space. So my question is: Is there any wayto identify saws that do not have a sticker or plate? I'm pretty sure that some parts fit multiple saws, so part numbers might not help. Any advice?
For Stihl saws you can look for parts numbers on larger parts like clutch covers etc. They usually look something like 1123 123 1234. The first 4 numbers represent the model family. I only have a German list, but numbers are numbers... . First column is what you're looking for:
https://wiki.motorsaegen-portal.de/wiki/STIHL_-_MOTORSÄGEN_VON_1929_-_heute

For Stihl saws you can look for parts numbers on larger parts like clutch covers etc. They usually look something like 1123 123 1234. The first 4 numbers represent the model family. I only have a German list, but numbers are numbers... . First column is what you're looking for:
https://wiki.motorsaegen-portal.de/wiki/STIHL_-_MOTORSÄGEN_VON_1929_-_heute
Thanks. I got the serial # from the larger husky 1611041176. Does that tell me anything about the model or series?

post a picture of it
Some of the husky and some of what I assume is a partial Stihl 051. The chain brake is unusual in my limited experience but it sure does not look to be home made

Attachments

• PXL_20240803_170959880.jpg
    PXL_20240803_170959880.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_170956664.jpg
    PXL_20240803_170956664.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_170635928.jpg
    PXL_20240803_170635928.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_170620795.jpg
    PXL_20240803_170620795.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_170611003.jpg
    PXL_20240803_170611003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Nope now that I blow the pic up I see it’s a Practica 61
Thanks. I googled Practica 61 and it looks the same except they all seem to have a white top. Could this have changed at some point or might this be a 61 Rancher or some other version of the 61?

Thanks. I googled Practica 61 and it looks the same except they all seem to have a white top. Could this have changed at some point or might this be a 61 Rancher or some other version of the 61?

61 can take parts from that up to 272- so who knows what you might have?
Silver tag on the crankscase tells you that part started out life as a 61 Practica- which is just Euro lingo for Rancher- if the top end and intake tract are unchanged- it still is a 61.
Sometimes the top covers get melted by the muffler, get old and crack, or get squished/damaged/broken and get replaced.
Does the front fixing screw starter side of the saw in your engine cover line up with the hole in the case?

If your other Partner is of the R16 family and the stickers are missing, it'll be hard to determine the exact model. Measuring the bore size or getting it from the cylinder casting number can give you a general idea. Different handle and starter/recoil cover styles can also help pinpoint them.

61 can take parts from that up to 272- so who knows what you might have?
Silver tag on the crankscase tells you that part started out life as a 61 Practica- which is just Euro lingo for Rancher- if the top end and intake tract are unchanged- it still is a 61.
Sometimes the top covers get melted by the muffler, get old and crack, or get squished/damaged/broken and get replaced.
Does the front fixing screw starter side of the saw in your engine cover line up with the hole in the case?
All four screws on the starter side cover line up. I assume that just means that the side cover is original. Only one of the top cover screws lines up though the top is otherwise a perfect fit to the case.

All four screws on the starter side cover line up. I assume that just means that the side cover is original. Only one of the top cover screws lines up though the top is otherwise a perfect fit to the case.
Actually I think you'll find the two rear screws line up but the front one on the recoil side won't. Looking closer I see that this top cover is very likely from a late model 61 (90's) due to the carb adjusting cut out in the side for the later adjustments and also it looks like the front screw falls rear of the starter upper front bolt....again which means the cover is from after the flywheel side case change. So you need a cover that is meant to be on the early two piece ign case. Originally a white cover came on this saw but an orange 266 cover or the later ( late 80's) gray cover will also work

Yeah I meant the top cover- not the starter cover- so what Cantdog said rings true.
You might have a saw that had a damaged white cover and someone tried to replace it- or you might pay to measure the bore as someone might have slapped a 272 type top end on it and they do not fit under a white top cover.

Back