info overload!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lblac36315

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK I have read for about 10 hours since finding this site last night.
GREAT SITE. I am the son of a master mechanic, done everything for mopar, chevy, ford, cummings, detroit, cat, evinrude, johnson, mercury, but have never thought about hot saws and mods to make hp & better running. TOO COOL! Now that I'm interested & have read enough to be dangerous. I have to ask if anyone could explain exactly what I can do to my stihl 039 muffler to gain anything? I know the first response will be to buy a 036 or 038. but until I sell my first two cords, I will have to make do with 039 that I already have. I'm just interested because I'm one of those people that like to mess with engines. I have about every hand & air tool that there is, just need to know what to do without taking a big chance on goofing it up.
Thanks for any info. I love this site & will read often. GREAT JOB.

just do a search on muffler mods and you will find more info than you can read. Basically you want to look for where the exhaust is most restricted (typically the baffles and the muffler outlet) and open them up a little. Most newer saws only have a <3/8" outlet hole under the spark arrester screen. That is your primary target. If the baffles are restrictive enough to impede exhaust flow then you can attack those also. Very few saws had any baffles in the muffler 15-20 years ago. Many of these same engines are now being produced with more restrictive mufflers resulting in lower HP and engine life.

The muffler is one obviouse place to start, I have not looked at an 039 yet, But after the muffler mods I have done with my 026 the brotherinlaw wants me to look at his 039.

Likely 10-20% can be gained by a muffler modification (good for the saw as well), But don't overlook the obviouse if you want to cut wood faster. Get the chain sharpening thing in line as well, the difference between a dull or improperly sharpened chain to a well sharpened chain could gain you a 100% or more on the efficiency. Also have seen 039's often set up with RM or even green link chain on them the RS will outcut as long as cutting conditions are clean and woods not frozen.

Timberwolf

Back