Insurance Question!! small service, part-time, low property damage risk (houses etc), mostly cash, not "a business" What type of insurance??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Josephs

Reaction score
Im not good with figuring out logistical stuff, and my situation isnt necessarily "on the books normal", so Im hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Looking to start up a small low risk service, maybe not "a business", dont want to do it full time, and wont necessarily have employees.. Ill climb & fell, train and hire my parters bro as a (trusted skilled) groundy for some jobs, but theres also another experienced climber in the area looking to contract out for other jobs. Probably mostly cash and we each get whatever rate we agree on etc. I live rurally with gnarly winters lately so everyones desperate for getting even the easy downed or preventative stuff taken care of, pruning/care etc. So Im interested in low-risk/damage potential jobs (not over houses etc,). I own the truck and chipper (Vermeer BC1800A), we both own/maintenance our own gear.

I know I should (legally?) get insurance for the potential, also folks want to see that, but is there something I can get so the Insurance company doesnt think im a full scale daily service that would kill the bank, cover what I need?

If were not "a business", would liability fall on the contracted person that did the damage and we should have our own insurances? Or since my name is on the business card would that fall on me? Etc

Are these plans for damage and liability? Or do they cover health too..?

I have years of gear/rigging/rock climbing experience in the past, over the past 4 years Ive grown skills learning and working with my partners dad, a longtime San Diego service owner Arborist, talking the ears off and working with other old timers in the area, certified by and completed The Academy's "boot camp" (I know this doesnt hold a lot of weight), and have now fell well over a hundred CA coast fatties pretty well precise with diverse techniques, and climbed limbed and taken down damn near a hundred, some requiring "moderate" extra rigging. Going for that license here and want to get something going!

Any advice, info, reflections on any of this would be appreciated!

Latest posts

Back