John Nikitas' 357

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aright here is Johns cylinder before mods...note the differences in the gasket to the cylinder in the top left and right corners of the transfer ports...the gasket actually matches the crankcase....hmmm...do we see a flow problem????

Dennis,

You're making me jealous! What about that 372GXPG?

Can you explain a little more about the gasket issue? I'm way at the front of the learning curve about porting and such.

CB

Hi Christian, I think Dennis is referring to the fact that there is alot of metal restricting the transfers as compared to the gasket and crankcase port size. Simply blueprinting this jug would probably make a nice gain over stock. I had to look very closely to discern the gasket from the bottom of the jug, but if you can make it out you will see what I mean. Russ

Christian..Russ is correct, and yeah that picture isnt the greatest to see the difference in the two...
this is just another example of the extra work that goes into the cylinders that we build...

Your pics tonight Christian...:)

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I wasn't sure what to be looking for, even, so the quality of the photo wasn't so much an issue.

:p = CB thinking about the new saw.

Hey Den , those 357xp have the funniest looking crank, I wonder if the manufacture was just looking to stuff the crankcase or what? You know the 359 has the goofie transfers, maybe a good match for the 357 case.

Hey Dennis, very nice to see the actual makings of my 357, a real treat. I really had no idea of what you would do and went completly on faith, based on posts by Gypo & others. Looks like the makings of another great saw! I'm in Colorado right now but home soon. Thanks again, BTW, is that my Clearwater Revival T-Shirt on the work bench in photo # 1? Part of the cotton break-in process I guess ;-)

John

Jon...yeah that "full circle" crank is interesting alright...just another ruse to make us buy special tools...lol...and you may just be correct on that 359 cylinder...will have to into that...

John...its nice having my camera back working...and that is your shirt..yep:D thought it needed a day or two in the shop, to get the chainsaw feel..eh..and smell...lol....should have more pics today hopefully...

Hey John, what I`m about to say probably won`t help you cope with the wait any easier but I just wanted to say that the wait will be worth it! I just started really running the 357 Dennis did for me, I believe to the same specs as yours, and now that I`ve got a few hours on it I`m thouroughly impressed! In fact, that is an understatement. The saw has really got cojones and just screams with a 20" bar in hardwood. My Greffardized 357xp is the best mid size saw that I have ever run and I will state that I`m sure it will outcut stock 372s, 044, and 046s. Probably alot of howling from the Stihl camp about my statement but I have enough experience with those saws to know, and don`t forget that the 357 powerhead only weighs 12.1#. Of course it costs as much as the other saws mentioned after the "Greffardization" but it starts and runs like like only a properly modified saw will. A-1 job Dennis! Russ

Russ...thanks, I appreciate that alot! And yes, your 357 has the exact same figures in it as John's....I am looking forward to do some timed cuts with them all tomorrow...and I will have pics of them tomorrow as well...in the middle of a month end paperwork jam right now...

Dennis,

No worries at all, just been out of town for quite a while and checking up on a bunch of things. Life is crazed right now! With it being so hot here and fires all around, I wouldn't have been using the saw, so this is better than having it here and just running it in the garage and P-ing off my neighbors.

Looks like my first chance will be in september when it cools down. I'm going to do some clearing of about 20 or so oaks to make room for a skateboard half-pipe ramp I'm putting up.

Russ, thanks very much for info, I appreciate it a bunch!

John

Back