Just for fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
From time to time there have been posts, even whole threads regarding the famous Homelite Super-EZ, and its renowned ability. I never owned one "back in the day", but I did snag a really nice one on Ebay a while back, and later scammed an EZ-250 (pretty much same saw, with a silly automatic chain tensioning set-up). Both run relly well, neither can have more than 20 hrs on them.

I also have a 16" small husky mount laminated bar that will fit either Homies or my Jonsered 2149, but until recently did not have any .325 sprockets for the Homies. I do now (NOS dusty old Sabre 8 tooth...when it's gone, it's gone). So, I enlist my wife to man the stopwatch for some timed cuts. 12"-14" red oak, frozen, ten cuts, all cutting down, throw out the highest and lowest, average the remaining 8.

EZ-250, .325 Oregon 20bp; avg 28.7 seconds.
S-EZ 28.9
Jonsereds 22.4

Ez-250 .325 Oregon 95vp (narrow-kerf) 27.9
S-EZ 27.8
Jonsereds: 21.6

Ez-250 3/8 Carlton round-filed chisel: 32.6
S-EZ 32.5
Jonsereds (Don't have a 3/8" 16" bar;
used 20" and Oregon 73LP.) 29.8

This took long enough that my help quit and went back in to work on Christmas decorations, so no further testing.

Some conclusions:
1) .325 cuts faster
2) Jonsered cuts faster
3)Homie's reed-valve engine has enough mid-range torque to get by with 3/8" chain
4) Jonny struggles w/ 20" & 3/8.
5) Homies did pretty well, but buzz a LOT compared to modern Johnny.
6) My wife thinks I'm nuts to spend over an hour just playing with chain saws
:blob2:

6) My wife thinks I'm nuts to spend over an hour just playing with chain saws
Is this something she's just now recognizing? Or has she known this for some time? :p

Thanks for the info. I'm not certain I will ever run an old (or new) Homelite, but the info about the .325 confirms what I knew but had no documentation. When I bought my used 026, the first thing I did was remove the 20" 3/8" pitch bar and replace it with an 18" .325 bar and chain setup. I don't think I even tried the 20" with 3/8, knew the .325 would be better.

Id never own a homelite if I was going to use one. I have fought with so many of those red turds at work I don't even wanna see one.

Everything is a terrible design. Like the 330 and 360 intake boots, pain in the ass to replace, way too difficult.

Super 2 style saws. Whats up with having to take the whole motor out to replace the sprocket? Jeez.....

Originally posted by JimL
Super 2 style saws. Whats up with having to take the whole motor out to replace the sprocket? Jeez.....
They obviously weren't designed to last long enough to need a replacement sprocket. Any homeowner who knows enough about chainsaws to recognize when the sprocket needs replacing probably wouldn't buy a Homelite to start with. The idiots who buy the new Homelites trade in the saw when the chain gets dull and they get tired of grinding it through wood and dirt. :rolleyes:

Homelite made a lot of good saws years ago. 26LCS, 990, EZ1, SXL, SXL-925, Super EZ, 750, 2100, etc.

Saws like the Mini XL and Super2 were for homeowners. Poulan 20s and MiniMacs are pretty lousy, too.

I don't think any 30 year old saws (except maybe an 090) compare to modern ones favorably. My Jonsey 111S weighs as much as an 088, puts out less power than an 066, and is rated at 7500 RPM. Still'll drag a huge bar, though.

I agree with John. There are many good Homelites. There are also some really bad ones. The problem is you only hear about the bad ones because the good ones keep running. Take a look at the Homelite 1050 Super that sold on ebay tonight. It brought well over $400. Try and find a 750 cheap. I will trade a Stihl 038 Super for a 750 or 2100. In my opinion EVERY SAW MAKER HAS MADE JUNK SAWS. Yes even Stihl and Husky. I have never had a good Mac but a hell of a lot of people have had good ones. Homelite made quality saws. It is too bad the last 10 years have ruined the company.

Just my thoughts

Bill

Latest posts

Back