Keeping large trees to a manageable size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dean7276

dean7276

I have a Spanish Fir and a Himalayan Cedar that I just purchased. They are currently about 1 ft tall. I understand that in time they can reach 30 or 40 feet in height but the locations I'd like to plant them will not accommodate that. Can I keep them trimmed/pruned to stay at a more manageable size of 8 or 10 feet? Or will that damage them?

uniballer

uniballer

ArboristSite Operative
We usually talk about planting the right tree in the right place. You are talking about the opposite of that.

There is a possibility that a chemical Tree Growth Regulator (e.g. paclobutrazol) could help you, but you would have to keep it up for many years. I can't say if it would be worth it, or if there are unknown long term consequences to the environment from these chemicals.

TheJollyLogger

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a Spanish Fir and a Himalayan Cedar that I just purchased. They are currently about 1 ft tall. I understand that in time they can reach 30 or 40 feet in height but the locations I'd like to plant them will not accommodate that. Can I keep them trimmed/pruned to stay at a more manageable size of 8 or 10 feet? Or will that damage them?
Those varietals actually have a mature height closer to 100'. I'm not sure why you chose those 2 particular trees, but if you try to keep them pruned to an 8-10' height don't expect them to resemble any specimens or pictures you have seen, provided they survive such severe pruning. Honestly, it will be a maintenance nightmare. As the root system expands they will become more aggressive.