Keeping the 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmecanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In my previous post, "Time for a new saw," I have been convinced to keep my 029. Now on to making it work for me. I noticed on other posts not to use a anti-kickback chain. What chain should I be using? This a firewood saw mainly. Also I have modded the muffler and someone mentioned about "limiter caps"? How can I determine if I have these and what can be done to remove or modify them?? Thanks in advance!!!

There are a lot of people who use saws that should stick with the anti-kickback chain. For people with enough experience and understanding of kickback, and the ability to avoid it, the standard chain is more productive.

Limiter caps are simply caps on the carb adjustment screws so people who don't know what they are doing won't get the carb too far out of adjustment.

Most likely not a bad decision to keep the 029.Try some Stihl RS chain,just be cautious of kick back.I have not drilled any holes is my MS290 muffler,I'll leave that to the folks with the pro saws perhaps not satisfied with cost/performance.

Keep on:)

Good decision, unless you really abuse the he!! out of that 029, it is a respectable saw.

You can obtain Stihl RS chain from your local dealer or you can also use Oregon 3/8 chain, both are tops.

Bring your saw in just in case.

Limiter caps already been well answered. :)

Keep that saw with .325, it does not have the power for 3/8

I dont know the Stihl number for chisel .325, but the Oregon equivalent is 34LG for .050 gauge. 21LP is a good chisel chain also

For firewood I would run a 16" bar or 18", it will help keep the weight down

:dizzy:

jetmecanic,

Important Information

WARNING! The occurrence called "kickback" can cause serious or fatal injury. Always read the owner's manual before using your saw. STIHL® has developed a color code system using green and yellow to help you select a powerhead, bar and chain combination that complies with the kickback requirements of ANSI Standards B 175.1. Your owner's manual contains safe operating procedures and advantages of using the STIHL® Quickstop® chain brake, STIHL® reduced kickback bars and STIHL® low kickback chains.

STIHL® recommends the use of green reduced kickback bars and green low kickback chains on all STIHL® chain saws.
:Monkey:

Rapid super/26RS-81 for 20" saw chain,.325 pitch works for me.Remember to be extra cautious as to kick back.

Keep on:)

Yes to the RS chain, if you have a 3/8 bar you can likely stay with 3/8. If you have a .325 better yet especially with a 20" bar.

Open up the muffler, richen up the HS mixture, keep the chain sharp, Use your safety equipment and common sence and make sure to check any bad habits you may have picked up while using safety chain.

Save your bucks for a bigger saw when the time comes, keep the 029 as working with 2 saws in the bush makes life a lot easier.

Timberwolf

You may want to get the caps off and have an experienced person adjust the saw. Like all new saws it is set pretty tight to the lean side. I played a little with opening the muffler and could lose about 2 seconds in a cut on 14 inch pine, but I also reset the carb to make sure I would have no problems.
The RS chain will help, but properly sharpened RM chain does a pretty good job for the novice woodcutter and adds a little safety besides.

Thx for the replies. I am no stranger to kickback!! I have a 6" scar from a Jonny 49sp that bit me about 20 years ago!! Don't have to worry about me being careful now.:D

Back