Limb tied cedars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_M0822

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been asked to cut down 3 of 4 cedar trees at a clients house. They are all very close together and limb tied at the top. I am not sure to what extent they are tied. I want to drop them along side the house parallel to the power lines. What would you guys do? I was thinking notch and back cut all three of them and put a Jack in the back one to break it off from the fourth that does not get cut. Or should I ask if I can cut down all of them? Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    689.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
I have been asked to cut down 3 of 4 cedar trees at a clients house. They are all very close together and limb tied at the top. I am not sure to what extent they are tied. I want to drop them along side the house parallel to the power lines. What would you guys do? I was thinking notch and back cut all three of them and put a Jack in the back one to break it off from the fourth that does not get cut. Or should I ask if I can cut down all of them? Please help.
How's your insurance? From a pure ethics standpoint, you should reccomend to your customer that they hire a professional that knows what they're doing.

Jack is not gonna work. I think this is a better job for a climber or bucket truck/lift. If i was gonna be cutting them from the ground (I'd climber them), I would drop them away from the house if possible, drop towards the side that the ladder is on. You will need the tie a pull line in them, atleast a 1/2" line that is designed for tree work. Because your saying they're limb-locked, I'd notch all 3 of them, cut to hinge thickness then pull them over, make sure to tie them together.
You'd be better off to pass on this job, imo. Not worth you taking a chance and dropping them on the house.

I’ve decided to pass on cutting them down. It’s beyond what I can do. I’ve cut down dozens of trees of this size and bigger but not in this situation. I will see if a climber can come and cut the tops off. Then I can just cut the lower parts. That part I’m very well rehearsed in.

Jack is not gonna work. I think this is a better job for a climber or bucket truck/lift. If i was gonna be cutting them from the ground (I'd climber them), I would drop them away from the house if possible, drop towards the side that the ladder is on. You will need the tie a pull line in them, atleast a 1/2" line that is designed for tree work. Because your saying they're limb-locked, I'd notch all 3 of them, cut to hinge thickness then pull them over, make sure to tie them together.
You'd be better off to pass on this job, imo. Not worth you taking a chance and dropping them on the house.

From the start, I figured my best chance was jacking it over. I do not believe that would work. Your idea of falling it towards the ladder won’t work because of power lines. I thought of that too. I will pass on the job. If they get topped where the limbs shoot out I can easily take it from there.

From the start, I figured my best chance was jacking it over. I do not believe that would work. Your idea of falling it towards the ladder won’t work because of power lines. I thought of that too. I will pass on the job. If they get topped where the limbs shoot out I can easily take it from there.
My friend, you just learned the most important lesson in this business... don't let your reach exceed your grasp...

Back