Limb walking on MRS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scut207

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First I am amatuer, so with a grain of salt. I have a newer seat with leg straps. I have a 9000lb rated rope that I have set up with a self tending blakes hitch. rope up high in the tree, I use an alpine butterfly for the belt tie in, I use a 5-2 blakes hitch cause the rope is newer and was slipping on a 3-2. I have a large tail that I tied an end of line prusink that I move up and down on the static side so it will self tend. I have old aluminum climbing spikes. I made myself a 2in1 so I am always tied in at least 2 points even when advancing passed a limb. A good 12000 lb bull rope and I have been crotch riggin with a neighbor as a groundman. I always triple check that the bull rope wont burn my tie ins. I never cut anything more than ~100lb. most of the time I have to help advance the drop. Ive read cut small stand tall and I am probably pushing that to the extreme. I have an stihl015 that is probably as old as me, but it works for the job I am trying to do which is this one tree.

So I have a hardwood tree that I am trying to remove, I about smoked myself to muscle fatigue trying to get to the tip and had to quit for the day. I think its all due to poor positioning on my part. the limb starts out about 20deg from level and slowly and evenly goes to vertical about 20-30 feet below the union where my MRS is looped. There wasnt a really good way to maintain balance and walk the limb without loosing contact and swinging back to the base.

I am thinking I was on the wrong side of the limb when I failed. gravity just sitting in the seat from tie in left me about 3ft off of it just sitting in the air.

if I can flop over the limb so my MRS system is pulling me toward the limb slightly I can try to get low and walk it. maybe I should sling a line from the ground to the tip and use a prusink so I dont lose whatever movement I can akwardly make?

I think its one of those situations where a tiny bit of knowledge is 90% of the effort.

Latest posts

Back