Lombard Super AL-42

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowlin723

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I came across a Lombard Super AL-42 that I want to get running. I have been working on 2 cycle engines for about 2 years and love it. I usually buy stuff cheap, fix it up then resell it. Some stuff I keep because I think it's cool.
I bought an old Dayton saw for $5.00 to fix up and they threw in the Lombard for free.
It has almost no paint left - it has enough that I know it was reddish orange with a cream color on some parts. I degreased it because it was covered in dirt and grime. The oil tank and gas tank are dry. It has good compression and it all seem complete. Old spark plug on it - a champion Tj-8j and I spark tested it and there is no spark. I think this one has points in it which leads me to my first issue. I can't get the flywheel off. I need a good puller. I bought a knockoff stihl one and almost pulled the threads out of the flywheel. Luckily that didn't happen. So I need a good puller to buy. It's really on there - I tried the pry and whack the nut method too.
Other things: It's missing the on/off metal piece at the switch and the nut is gone too. The switch was just flopping around but it's hooked up. I am missing a pulley cover screw too. One had the head broken off but I will look into that at some point. Right now - I want to get it running then figure out how to make it look nice again. I already soaked the bar and chain in vinegar because it was solid rust. That came out awesome and I can read Oregon right on it now with a sharp chain! I would appreciate any guidance on what to do next.

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I came across a Lombard Super AL-42 that I want to get running. I have been working on 2 cycle engines for about 2 years and love it. I usually buy stuff cheap, fix it up then resell it. Some stuff I keep because I think it's cool.
I bought an old Dayton saw for $5.00 to fix up and they threw in the Lombard for free.
It has almost no paint left - it has enough that I know it was reddish orange with a cream color on some parts. I degreased it because it was covered in dirt and grime. The oil tank and gas tank are dry. It has good compression and it all seem complete. Old spark plug on it - a champion Tj-8j and I spark tested it and there is no spark. I think this one has points in it which leads me to my first issue. I can't get the flywheel off. I need a good puller. I bought a knockoff stihl one and almost pulled the threads out of the flywheel. Luckily that didn't happen. So I need a good puller to buy. It's really on there - I tried the pry and whack the nut method too.
Other things: It's missing the on/off metal piece at the switch and the nut is gone too. The switch was just flopping around but it's hooked up. I am missing a pulley cover screw too. One had the head broken off but I will look into that at some point. Right now - I want to get it running then figure out how to make it look nice again. I already soaked the bar and chain in vinegar because it was solid rust. That came out awesome and I can read Oregon right on it now with a sharp chain! I would appreciate any guidance on what to do next.
Repost in the chainsaw forum, probably get better results

Latest posts

Back