Low compression, why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samaritan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After new piston, cylinder, rings and seals, compression is only 115, and it wont start, its a Stihl ms 251c . The piston and cylinder look fine, and so do the rings. I added oil to the cylinder and compression went to 125, still wont start.

As above, test the spark and fuel. Also why was the piston and cylinder replaced? Have you performed a pressure test? Has the original issue been fixed?

115psi is pretty normal for a fresh not run in cylinder. I highly doubt it has to do with your ring end gap. Besides that there's no way to tighten it up without either replacing the cylinder or hoping a new ring is tighter.
Pressure and vac test the saw, check spark, fuel etc. It should run with the compression you have.

Did you ascertain why the saw needed a new top end in the first place?
Find and fix that reason and I am willing to bet the saw will fire up just fine on the compression you have.
New rings need to "learn" the new cylinder- sometimes this can take several tanks of fuel before they truly get to know each other and reach full compression values.

Latest posts

Back