Maverick Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Martin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Doug,
Thanks for your explanation on the Maverick spark. This is a phenomenon that I encountered with the West Bend chainsaw that I used in the late 1960's. I didn't know what it was at the time, but it was awesome. Most people have never even heard about it, witnessed it, let alone experienced it. With the new, solid state ignitions, it isn't possible, only with breaker points is it possible.
I was wondering if you could write an explanation for the members on Arborsite as you explained it to me? It was really interesting.

Art Martin

Me to, I'm listening. Did this have something to do with getting the westbends to run backwards?

Methoss084,
What's backwards?
Running backwards is in the eyes of the beholder. Counter clockwise is the most common rotation of chainsaws. Clockwise rotation could be correct if you use double enders and want both saws to be upright.
No, the Maverick spark is not that at all. The cam that slips on the crankshaft is what determines the rotation. The Maverick spark occurs when the RPMs reach a point when the points do not have time to open and close. Doug has the expertise to explain what happens then. When it happens it's like the engine goes into overdrive.

Art Martin

I've heard of this phenomenon, from an aquaintance that raced Karts, although he had a different name for it...point float or point bounce.

I believe he mostly raced West Bend engines, but I suppose other marques experienced this as well. In this fellow's opinion, it was about as welcome as valve float in a 4-stroke, and just as dangerous.

Latest posts

Back