McCulloch 5-10G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I figured that I would go ahead and start a new thread on my new to me 5-10G. Based upon my tracking number, I won't receive the saw until next Tuesday. I can't hardly wait. Here are the only pictures that I have of the saw right now.
842a_1.jpg

944f_1.jpg

a82c_1.jpg

BSby4gmkKGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4iEBKDITfzRS.jpg

Oh, I compaired the 5-10G ipl to the G70 ipl and what I found out was that they use the same piston assymbly, sam part number, which means they have the same bore. That must mean that the 5-10G has the same displacement as the G70, which is 72cc, unless the strokes are very different. Anyone have any imput on this?

I mentioned yesterday that Acres lists all the 5-10 series as 54cc,except the 5-10E electric start which he states is 70cc. The others are listed as 1.75" bore and the "E" as 2.0"

I mentioned yesterday that Acres lists all the 5-10 series as 54cc,except the 5-10E electric start which he states is 70cc. The others are listed as 1.75" bore and the "E" as 2.0"

Acres has all the 10 series listed with a 1.375" stroke. That means, if my ipls are correct, that the 5-10G is 70cc as well, because it has the same piston assembly as the G70, Super Pro 70, and the 7-10A, part# 85239 (2.00" bore).

Last edited:
Next Tuesday,I hope they packed it well.That's a long time for it to get tossed around...........
You'll be a wreck by then.

How big of a pain is it going to be to change the sprocket. Just looking at the pics and ipl that I have, I'm going to have to remove the transmission to get to the sprocket. Has anyone ever changed a sprocket on a 2-10g, 5-10g, or g70?

That's handy,look up the carb kit for a 3-10E with the small flat-back carb.

Did the Ebay description mention anything about what sprocket it currently has,I don't remember.I do remember you saying that the OE chain was 1/2" and you wanted to go to .404 and had purchased a .404 sprocket for it.Since the saw is over 40 years old,the odds are that the 1/2" sprocket is long gone.I think you're worrying too much,do you have any children?

No children yet, but I'm scheduled to be married by next year this time. I don't think I'm ready for kids at all just yet. Maybe by the time I'm 27 years old. My girlfriend graduated from Virginia Tech last Fall. Hopefully she will have a job by this Fall and we can start house hunting. Kid's won't fit in the picture for a while. I am still taking Old Dominion University classes now. When I finish up I will get an $8 an hour pay raise. That should help me out some, that plus my girlfriend getting a job. We have been together for almost 5 years now.

Well, if you get this wound up over a chainsaw,they'll have to put you on "Chill Pills" when the little guys start showing up.I'm glad you've got everything planned out,I hope it all goes according to the plan.Most people your age think that a long range plan ends early Sunday morning.

Well, if you get this wound up over a chainsaw,they'll have to put you on "Chill Pills" when the little guys start showing up.I'm glad you've got everything planned out,I hope it all goes according to the plan.Most people your age think that a long range plan ends early Sunday morning.

YEP to all of that.

life is what happens while your busy trying to make plans.

Yeah, I do tend to get a little excited over small things. I'm sure that I will have some sort of blood pressure medication before I'm 30. I hope things go as planned also. My fiance won't like it one bit if something goes wrong, I'm sure. We get along great, but when it comes to the wedding thing, I'm just staying out of the way. I told her to give me a tux and time, and I'll be there. I would rather go to the court house and be done in 10 minutes, but I think that women think about how they want their wedding there whole life, up until the day. I was hoping that she would be employed by now. I don't want to be in a rush trying to find somewhere to live after we get married. I might go insane. I told her that if she didn't have a job to help pay for us somewhere to live, we will have to postpone things, because I can't afford everything by myself. She's ready to get married tomorrow, but I want to wait until I feel comfortable financially.

How big of a pain is it going to be to change the sprocket. Just looking at the pics and ipl that I have, I'm going to have to remove the transmission to get to the sprocket. Has anyone ever changed a sprocket on a 2-10g, 5-10g, or g70?

Yes and it is not nearly as hard as you think. All I did was pull the nut and washer then soak in some penetrating oil, after that I used a small (10") pry bar with a 45 degree bend at the last inch and a quarter under the edge of the sprocket and it slid right off. Good luck.

Yes and it is not nearly as hard as you think. All I did was pull the nut and washer then soak in some penetrating oil, after that I used a small (10") pry bar with a 45 degree bend at the last inch and a quarter under the edge of the sprocket and it slid right off. Good luck.

Thanks!

I got the 5-10G in the mail today. I haven't done anything to it yet, just looked it over. Here is a list of things I'm going to need as of right now.

- Air filter
- Molded fuel line
- Bar and .404" chain to fit 3/8" studs, preferably 28"-30" length Mac brand
- Walbro SDC-2 carb kit

I allready have a new 8-tooth .404" sprocket. I checked the compression and it was 140psi. The cylinder looked dry so the compression should go up some with mix in it. The saw does have a compression release, I didn't know that before. I am going to take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back