Mcculloch PM 610 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieUnicorn

Reaction score
I just got a second saw for cheap. I got it running pretty nice after some tweaking and a basic tune-up. However, the auto oiler nor the manual oiler seem to work. I took off the pump and the gasket seems to be fine. Could the pump cause both the auto and manual oiler to not function? Before I go spending $30 on a new pump and gasket, are there any other things that could cause this problem?

This being my second (and larger) saw, I am excited to do some cutting with it.

Thanks

PS, my first saw is a Poulan P3416 34cc 16" that I have had absolutely no issues with and bought used for $40 with a set of ghetto power tools. No complaints there!

Moved to chainsaw forum. :)

Welcome aboard...

I had a PM610 that I put a new oiler in that I bought on ebay for around 20 bucks. It was a NOS McCulloch factory part too.

Gary

Welcome aboard. Now that you have contracted CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) we need to move you into a more suitable saw. While the 610/650 series have their advocates, most find them to be heavy and underpowered. While I think I have 5, I never use them for cutting.

You may want to try posting up in the swap meet to see if someone has an oiler (or saw) for cheap.

I just got a second saw for cheap. I got it running pretty nice after some tweaking and a basic tune-up. However, the auto oiler nor the manual oiler seem to work. I took off the pump and the gasket seems to be fine. Could the pump cause both the auto and manual oiler to not function? Before I go spending $30 on a new pump and gasket, are there any other things that could cause this problem?

This being my second (and larger) saw, I am excited to do some cutting with it.

Thanks

PS, my first saw is a Poulan P3416 34cc 16" that I have had absolutely no issues with and bought used for $40 with a set of ghetto power tools. No complaints there!

Yikes .... you want to:
1) Make sure the internals of the pump are all cleaned out and moving correctly
2) The pickup and tube are clear enough, I've seen tanks full of gunk
3) The pump is secures with all the screws required
4) The most common point of mechanical failure is the diaphragm & gasket under the pump, the diaphragm should be a bit supple. I think Mark H posted you can soak a diaphragm in hot water with a little lemon juice and it will loosen them up a bit.

PM me if you want me to send off a pump or two I have in the parts box.

:cheers:

Definitely check the rubber pick up tube in the tank. You should be able to see it thought the opening - sort of. It takes a bit of disassembly if you have to replace it, but it's not that hard. Also be careful blowing the pump out with compressed air - you can blow the pickup tube off and you can damage the pump internals.

Thank you all for your help. I will check out the tube when I get a chance. I forgot to mention that when the whole thing is assembled and I operate the manual oiler, there is a very small amount on one of the right side holes (like you were holdingthe saw for normal operation). Does this change anything?

I'll second the oil tube end being plugged. Mine would not oil good at all. I removed the tank and resealed it and found the oil pickup tube 99% plug with what looked like tar.

It oils to much now as I have yet to turn the oiler screw down.

I'll bet pick up tube fell off or filter is plugged with sawdust/wood chips. Usually the manual oiler will still work even if the auto oiler does not. I've also seen where the oil pump cover gets packed with sawdust and won't allow the diaphragm to move fully causing the auto oiler to seem weak. If you do have to take the oil tank off use a really good sealer like Yamabond or make a gasket to replace the old clear silicone that was there originally.

Back