Mcculloch Pro Mac 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm, says me. Fifteen minutes and the MacHeads haven't jumped on this. O.K., here goes;

The McCulloch 605, 610, 650 and the redressed counterparts sold by various retail outlets uses an automatic oil pump that is operated by crankcase pulses directed against a diaphragm that moves a piston. The manual oil pump is operated by forcing the pushrod against the pump plunger.

To adjust the automatic oil pump outlet turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise to increase oil flow or clockwise to decrease oil flow.

These saws ain't beauty queens and are fairly reliable. I have several, no make that four of them. Kinda heavy for a 60cc saw but these were one of the last good McCullochs produced before the owners of the name started producing, junk. Sorry but that about sums up what is produced under the McCulloch name nowadays. The 600 series family can be summed up as;

Built like a tank,
Ugly as sin,
Heavy as :censored:,
Great Ole saws.

There may be some dealers that can get the replacement diaphragm and O rings for the automatic pump. Hope this helps.

The oiler issue is kind of overhyped if you ask me. Out of all the dozens of 610s I've worked on more had issues with the oil tank pick up hose than the oiler itself. Realistically we're talking about a 30+ year old diaphragm pump here, it's surprising that more aren't bad. There are still NOS pumps available on feebay and I'll bet some of our sponsors have them too. If you want peace of mind, get a new pump and throw it in. Save your old pump as a spare and get cutting!
attachment.php

I currently have a 610 on the bench. Have ordered NOS diaphragm/plate/gasket for it after reading all the posts about the goofy oiler. The components removed were all hard and brittle. PM me if you are interested in the source.

The oiler issue is kind of overhyped if you ask me. Out of all the dozens of 610s I've worked on more had issues with the oil tank pick up hose than the oiler itself. Realistically we're talking about a 30+ year old diaphragm pump here, it's surprising that more aren't bad. There are still NOS pumps available on feebay and I'll bet some of our sponsors have them too. If you want peace of mind, get a new pump and throw it in. Save your old pump as a spare and get cutting!
attachment.php

Can I have that bar? :msp_drool: It's shiny... :)

Can I have that bar? :msp_drool: It's shiny... :)
LOL! It's the nicest looking part on the whole saw but I'll trade it to you for 2 NOS 20" black McCulloch bars with the yellow lettering that came on the 610 originally.

LOL! It's the nicest looking part on the whole saw but I'll trade it to you for 2 NOS 20" black McCulloch bars with the yellow lettering that came on the 610 originally.

Well, I don't have two NOS black bars with the yellow lettering. Not yet anyways. If I am lucky, the guy that my dad knows at work happens to decide to let me rummage through his saw shed, where lots of Macs, Pioneers, and various other old school beasts lurk about, I may stumble upon some good NOS bars and chains to trade with you.

I'll end up with one of those someday for the 610. :cheers:

Yes, I like stuff that has a good shine, what's wrong with that? Most of the stuff I have is worn or at least isn't shiny anymore.

I'm slowly working towards the equilibrium line... give me some time... :cheers:

Bring's back memorie's. A good buddy of mine had one when we were in are teens. We cut alot of firewood with that thing. My father in law still has one, we had the saw shop go thru it a couple years ago, and get it running good, still a good clean saw. He still uses it from time to time. Funny he was telling me the story, he got it at Sears I think years ago, said he wanted a 24in bar. Well they had one, just one said they had em in boxes 25-30 boxes stacked like a pyramid. The one with the 24in bar was on the bottom, so he started digging.

I got mine used in 1989 or so and it's still my main felling saw. It drops 10-15 full cord worth of trees every year. I'd love a 372XP or a 385XP but I just can't abandon the old girl who has been so good to me over the years.

I have 2 runners and one that had my buddies maul fall on 6 or 20 times

Attachments

• 15666997805693255656487245642645.jpg
    15666997805693255656487245642645.jpg
    1,006.3 KB
My first one. Still running and cutting 2 sprockets and 10 chains later.
Now I have 6 PM610's, 2 PM605's and one each FR and Eager Beaver.
I take one along with my HVA 455 and 460 Ranchers when I go to the woods.
Love those Old Mac PM610's.:heart:

Thanks, Mark. I lurk a lot... read recent posts without signing in.
Collecting chainsaws for about 14 years now... have around 600 old saws mostly all made in North America. A few are very rare... not many duplicates... except the 31 Mac 3-25's... and even they are well-scattered through the 41 months Mac made that model. Do most of my chainsaw talk over in the Swede forum. Turned 75 last Saturday. Still felling and bucking and hand-splitting and burning 8-10 cords a year...
2019 was my 50th year of beekeeping.
:happybanana::dancing::happybanana:

Back