Milled Scrap Slab Wood for Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a few mills around here and a couple sell "a pick up load" for ~$20. My wife bought a load while I was at work for $150. Most of these mills cut the scrap slabs in "firewood lengths". I was a little upset because of the price but that's not the question.

Without me checking the moisture every month, how long would it take to dry enough to burn in a wood stove?

25728.jpeg25721.jpeg

Let the sun and wind dry them. Peel the top boards off and put them out of the weather every other week. Won't be long before it's all dry. We can't even give slabs away here. Most of that is fresh off the mill. I've got a pile four times that size sitting elsewhere rotting away for a couple years now. We produce more than we can burn ourselves.

20240822 slab pile kindling sawmill.jpg

Don't let the wife buy wood, unless she is going to process it. :laugh: You could have gotten 1/2 cord cut split seasoned hardwood delivered for $150 here.

I'd take a saw with my longest bar on it and just cut into the pile at whatever firewood lengths you need. Take the cutoffs and stack and cover them on top. If you stack in sections criss/cross it will dry faster with better air flow. Don't stack more than two rows wide together.

Drying time will depend on how green the wood is and species of wood.

Don't let the wife buy wood, unless she is going to process it. :laugh: You could have gotten 1/2 cord cut split seasoned hardwood delivered for $150 here.

I'd take a saw with my longest bar on it and just cut into the pile at whatever firewood lengths you need. Take the cutoffs and stack and cover them on top. If you stack in sections criss/cross it will dry faster with better air flow. Don't stack more than two rows wide together.

Drying time will depend on how green the wood is and species of wood.

It would've cost me around $200 for half cord and that's what I told her. She doesn't know about seasoned firewood.

Last time she bought a half cord of split wood it was supposedly seasoned but was obviously not.

We burn about a cord and a half now with the wood burning insert and we used to go through three cords prior to getting the insert.

Latest posts

Back