Mis-cut Oak limb fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamboom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This oak tree limb was partially cut by mistake. I want to fix it, if possible. One lag-screw on axis A or B ? plus some sort of sealer to prevent bugs.. and also add strength. ... and perhaps some filler that might also add strength... the limb reaches into the center of the tree, so is somewhat supported, and there is a path for nutrients ... sooo, it might live? Many questions here ... Thanks much... Regards, Michael (PS: I didn't do it :)

Attachments

• Oak tree mis-cut.jpg
    Oak tree mis-cut.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, Del
I get it. But, it is just "mostly dead". What are the risks of trying to save it ..? What if the cut was only 50% through... would you try something then?

Do what Del said to remove it, then cut it back to the branch collar so it will try to heal the wound best it can.

To drop limbs you first do an undercut, followed by a top cut, both away from the trunk. Limb should drop without tearing away bark. Finish up with trim to the collar

Do what Del said to remove it, then cut it back to the branch collar so it will try to heal the wound best it can.

To drop limbs you first do an undercut, followed by a top cut, both away from the trunk. Limb should drop without tearing away bark. Finish up with trim to the collar
Thanks for the reply ... yup, I know that ... I'm not the one who cut it.

This oak tree limb was partially cut by mistake. I want to fix it, if possible. One lag-screw on axis A or B ? plus some sort of sealer to prevent bugs.. and also add strength. ... and perhaps some filler that might also add strength... the limb reaches into the center of the tree, so is somewhat supported, and there is a path for nutrients ... sooo, it might live? Many questions here ... Thanks much... Regards, Michael (PS: I didn't do it :)
Trees just don't work that way

I'm going to assume this is a joke.
What if you cut halfway through your thigh and put some screws in it? Put some peanut butter on it to seal it up?

Back