MS 440 - WHATS IT WORTH?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I am in the process selling it so I can't just take it all apart
The only photo of the piston I can get is the muffler side
From what I remember the carb side is much worse.
BTW, it is seized, you can't pull the recoil the full distance

With slight damage like that the saw is not usually not locked up. It may have other problems. Take off the recoil cover and turn the flywheel by hand. What do you feel/hear?

Cosmetically it's a nice saw and someone would buy it to fix it.

The flywheel will not turn. As said before the piston is seized.

First one above implies it moves, some.

It's 4 screws to take the recoil off. Do you want help, or not?

Alright, I just moved the flywheel with my hand and I can only move it an inch to the right. It sounds as if the piston is knocking against the side of the cylinder

Alright, I just moved the flywheel with my hand and I can only move it an inch to the right. It sounds as if the piston is knocking against the side of the cylinder
Well then something let loose inside, or it ate something hard through the intake.

Maybe it lost a circlip and the piston pin is loose. Could be the clip or pin in a port. Another possibility is a rod bearing let loose.

Someone would by it for the parts and rebuild it. It's crap shoot to give a value as can't diagnose the issue. Worst case it needs crank and P/C.

Since it's nice looking ebay might be your best bet, or put in trading post here. Not sure if you can list best offer here.

Well then something let loose inside, or it ate something hard through the intake.

Maybe it lost a circlip and the piston pin is loose. Could be the clip or pin in a port. Another possibility is a rod bearing let loose.

Someone would by it for the parts and rebuild it. It's crap shoot to give a value as can't diagnose the issue. Worst case it needs crank and P/C.

Since it's nice looking ebay might be your best bet, or put in trading post here. Not sure if you can list best offer here.
He's looking for a value .

That don't look bad, it can be cleaned up and put a new piston in there . That is a clean saw once repaired it's worth a good amount, I need more pics first. Dont get conned out of that thing right away sit on it till we sort this out.
This looks to be a dolled up old MS440, all the parts that are easy to see have been recently installed, muffler, top shroud,airfilter cover& clutch cover. A pic of the bottom of the saw would show a good bit of wear and deep pitting from what I can see of the crankcase in the one pic of it facing forward. To come up with a price with just 2 pics would be unfair to either owner or purchaser. I buy these saws frequently and need much better detailed pics to give a fair price. If I were looking to buy it from what I can see from just those two pics and a very sketchy description of the mechanical condition I would say $200 as the big end of the crank could be damaged.

I took a closer look and can see the missing screws are the ones that hold the muffler at the bottom, screw or screws missing from the recoil, broken or stripped screws for the dawg/spike, the saw has been dressed up to look good but it likely is a high hour saw, the piston skirt might have broke off from wearing thin. If the OP wants to show a few more pics I can give a better estimate.

Latest posts

Back