MS 440 - WHATS IT WORTH?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a closer look and can see the missing screws are the ones that hold the muffler at the bottom, screw or screws missing from the recoil, broken or stripped screws for the dawg/spike, the saw has been dressed up to look good but it likely is a high hour saw, the piston skirt might have broke off from wearing thin. If the OP wants to show a few more pics I can give a better estimate.
Sorry, it looks like I've posted 6 photos of the saw. Not 2.
Are you unable to see them?

I took a closer look and can see the missing screws are the ones that hold the muffler at the bottom, screw or screws missing from the recoil, broken or stripped screws for the dawg/spike, the saw has been dressed up to look good but it likely is a high hour saw, the piston skirt might have broke off from wearing thin. If the OP wants to show a few more pics I can give a better estimate.
Very good eye for detail keep them going!

Sorry, it looks like I've posted 6 photos of the saw. Not 2.
Are you unable to see them?
There are only 2 that are showing condition, one sitting in the grass and one sitting on a block of wood. The pic you just posted of the bottom shows the age and usage much better than the recently replaced outer parts I mentioned earlier. It`s a high hour saw with damaged internal reciprocating parts so my $200 assessment still stands.

Very good eye for detail keep them going!
I have built 28 of this series saw completing the latest one just a week ago, have done so many I could build them with eyes closed. The last one I built was as completely disassembled as possible. When I started out the build it was with the two super clean case halves without bearings, all other parts were loose in their storage boxes.

That's high hour saw. Aint worth much. The 200.00 was very close. Would you ship it to Canada to PG?
Did you look at where the front handle attaches to the spine that reaches from the rear fuel tank/handle ? The magnesium surrounding the rubber AV mounts are worn very thin on that chassis.

The more I read and think about this saw, I think it's a tear down for spare parts.
I don't think the cylinder isn't going to be salvageable and the case would likely need to be split to deal with particulates in the crankshaft bearings.
I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

The more I read and think about this saw, I think it's a tear down for spare parts.
I don't think the cylinder isn't going to be salvageable and the case would likely need to be split to deal with particulates in the crankshaft bearings.
I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.
I'm thinking it mostly trashed too. What's it worth, is what he wants to know?

Alright, thanks for the input everyone.
Sounds like we have a final estimate that this a "parts" saw and is worth about $200?
Whether that includes shipping or not is the final quandary! That's all you can get for that without deceiving someone.

If shipping wasn't included in that price it wouldn't be worth it. Too many unknowns with it.
Exactly, I agree, so the seller should take this advice. Case closed! He can go to Pirateship.com and get a better rate plus look up the shipping costs based on zip code, box size and weight.

Latest posts

Back