MS201 rear handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone run one? How do they compare to the ms200? Has Stihl been offering the improvements same as the ms201t?

A snellerized MS 201 C-E and a muffler modded MS 200 make it through a 8x8 softwood race cant in about the same time. The MS 200 piss revs better though.

Wondering if anyone knew if Stihl is improving the ms201 rear handle the way they have the 201t...my understanding is that the 201t was a real pig when it came out and pretty much needed to be modded to hang with a 200t. Stihl gas been gradually improving 201t. Does the RH version need the same upgrades, and if so, has it been getting the upgrades too? (eg is an early version different from one that comes off the line on Monday)

I find that the 201 is a piece of crap stock. I want to throw it in the trash can. The 200 stock is fantastic. So if you are looking for a 201 make sure you get it modded.

The ms200 rear handles sre being sold for $1600 now, so the 201 is cheap!!!!!

I am thinking of getting a 201 rear handle for limbing and wondered if you can get this saw without the easystart feature? Stihls website only has it listed as with easystart. thanks

I don't think so. Not sure why they put the easy start on a 40cc pro saw. Maybe for the weakling climbers for topping?

With that said, what will it take to convert the "easy 2 start" to "hard 2 start"?

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

I had a 201 rear handle. It was the biggest mistake I have made

Even with the mods it's no 200. I'm a little heavy handed with a saw and as soon as any pressure was put on the 201 it would fall on its face

Everyone here will say otherwise but a 200 with 14" bar buried just keeps pulling.

There was a 200 rear handle in the classifieds not too long ago for sale

There are a lot better saws out there than a 201. And cheaper

James

I have a 200t before they discontinued them and I use it for limbing on the ground but I would like the rear handle version .
If I recall randy (mastermind) did one and I think made a video a 201 not to long ago. Iwill have to search for it.

Just saying a 201 is no 200. Even with timing advanced, second outlet in muffler and carb readjusted

Full port job may be a different story.

You can buy a ms261 or a 545-555 husky for about same money and have a whole lot more saw

I wanted a 200 for a ground saw too. Just don't want to see anyone else spend on a 201 and not be happy.

Fwiw I did buy a used 200 and it is what it should be

James

I have one of each. XSKIER is right on the money. He has run mine. The 200 is easier to MM, but you still have to remove the limitation on the H needle in order to retune which requires pulling the carb. FWIW, I thought pulling the carb & unlimiting the H needle on the 201 was simpler. The handles on the 201 are slightly farther apart giving it a little nicer balance, but this is really nitpicking. Advancing the timing on the earlier 201 is necessary to get the best out of it. I think the latest version has a more advanced timing (new flywheel & coil) which means you only need to do the MM, etc. to get max performance. Brad Snelling will correct me on this if it is wrong. Any difference in performance isn't worth talking about. The only thing I would change on the 201, if I could, would be the limited coil. It kicks in at 13,200-13,300 which makes it tricky to tune. The advantage, here, goes to the 200. Again, I have heard that the coil on the more recent version of the 201 is limited closer to 14,000 which would make it much easier to tune, but I don't know for sure. I would be very happy to have another 201, especially the most recent model. Good luck with your choice. They are both great saws.

Also I’m looking for some parts for a couple 192tc’s I got laying around. EBay is a joke! Lmk if any of you guys would like to sell me some bits and pieces.

Does anyone know what the MSRP on the Ms201c model? Rear handle. Can only find prices on the newer C-M. Thanks in advance.

Around here (Michigan), the 201C-M is about $750. Are you thinking 201c is a non-Mtronic? The early 201, which I have, has a standard carb, & it does not have a "c" on it. All of the more recent models are Mtronic. FWIW, I was recently (last year) looking to buy a 241. Wanting to see how it stacked up against my 201, I took it to the dealership, & we ran the two side by side. The dealer's comment about the 201 was, "That thing is hauling ass!" The 241 was a little faster, but not by much! I also have a rear handled 200 (see one of the earlier posts). Since that post, I have replaced the original coil on the 201 (limited to 13,000 RPM) with the upgraded one (limited to 14,00RPM), & it is much easier to tune. The 200 is tuned to 14,300RPM where it safely 4 strokes & cuts like a maniac, but the 201 still outcuts it!! I haven't run the Mtronic 201, but that system eliminates the limited coil nonsense. Sure, there are lots of less expensive saws, most of them in the 50cc category, that are much more versatile, but the 200 & 201 are specialty machines which are so much easier to handle, & they pretty well speak for themselves. Tony Rumore has both, along with a whole arsenal of others ranging from 50-over 90cc, most notably the 661. He comments that, if he needs more saw than a 200 or 201, he goes right to the 661! I really appreciate both of my "little guys". If I had to choose between the two, I would likely keep the 201. A couple of years ago at a GTG, one of the guys who has several great running saws including a Masterminded Dolmar 7900 & Husky 346, ran one of my little ones. His comment was, "Now that was really fun!"

Around here (Michigan), the 201C-M is about $750. Are you thinking 201c is a non-Mtronic? The early 201, which I have, has a standard carb, & it does not have a "c" on it. All of the more recent models are Mtronic. FWIW, I was recently (last year) looking to buy a 241. Wanting to see how it stacked up against my 201, I took it to the dealership, & we ran the two side by side. The dealer's comment about the 201 was, "That thing is hauling ass!" The 241 was a little faster, but not by much! I also have a rear handled 200 (see one of the earlier posts). Since that post, I have replaced the original coil on the 201 (limited to 13,000 RPM) with the upgraded one (limited to 14,00RPM), & it is much easier to tune. The 200 is tuned to 14,300RPM where it safely 4 strokes & cuts like a maniac, but the 201 still outcuts it!! I haven't run the Mtronic 201, but that system eliminates the limited coil nonsense. Sure, there are lots of less expensive saws, most of them in the 50cc category, that are much more versatile, but the 200 & 201 are specialty machines which are so much easier to handle, & they pretty well speak for themselves. Tony Rumore has both, along with a whole arsenal of others ranging from 50-over 90cc, most notably the 661. He comments that, if he needs more saw than a 200 or 201, he goes right to the 661! I really appreciate both of my "little guys". If I had to choose between the two, I would likely keep the 201. A couple of years ago at a GTG, one of the guys who has several great running saws including a Masterminded Dolmar 7900 & Husky 346, ran one of my little ones. His comment was, "Now that was really fun!"
Got a part number and a price on that updated coil? Let me know.

Latest posts

Back