Ms440 and 460 options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m new to the forum here and looking for some advice and options. Long story short, I’ve got a fairly clean running ms440 with a 25” bar I got from a buddy 8-10 years ago for $250. I was recently given a seized ms460 with no bar that I’m putting back together and I’ll have $300 in it. My problem is, I rarely use chainsaws besides a couple times a year at my vacation cabin or if we have a hurricane and I cut trees to clear the road to get through but I like having them around bc I’m just that guy. I worked as a climber for a tree company in my younger years so I’ve got plenty of experience with 46 and 66 stihl saws so no problem there. My question is what should I do with the 2 very similar saws? Run a 20” bar on the 440 and keep both? Turn the 440 into a 440/460 hybrid? Sell one or the other and end up with a 261 with a 18” bar? Give me some ideas and opinions of what y’all would do or what I should do!! Thanks!!

This is a great source of info and it’s been great reading a bunch of stuff!!

Decisions decisions… Just kicking around some ideas trying to figure out the best thing to do. I really don’t need anything besides one, but I surely can’t replace what I’ve got for the money I’d get selling them and there’s always the chance of ending up with a different property(with trees and more need for saws) later down the road. Does anybody really run both 44s and 46s as a 2 or 3 saw plan or do y’all generally run saws with more varied cc and purposes? Thanks again!!

If you don't do much saw work, just keep them both. When the 460 us fixed, I'd put the 25" bar on it, because its too big for the 440. Personally Id have a 18 or 20 inch bar on the 440.

yea the 460 hasn’t had gas in the tank since I’ve had it and I actually try to just put enough fuel in the 440 to accomplish what I have to do rather than filling it up. It doesn’t take too many carb cleanings on small engines to learn the lesson of running them regularly or empty the fuel out! Thanks for the tip!! Definitely a good reminder! Surprisingly enough, my dad has a 041av that can sit for YEARS and throw new fuel in the tank if it fires right up and runs like a champ!

Latest posts

Back