MS441 Big Bore rebuild and M-Tronics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgTech4020

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I just purchased a pair of used and abused STIHL MS441 saws. Both saws were skidder modified but I’ve been able to build a running saw from the remains of the two. Upon getting the saw running I’ve discovered it’s tired, 115 psi compression. No scoring on intake or exhaust side just dull and worn inside but otherwise runs fine. My plans are to order a Farmertec big bore kit for it. The parts saw is a Early M-tronic saw and I would like to move the M-tronics to this saw. My primary concern is will the M-tronics work well with a ported big bore?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 407CD34F-2485-4680-9136-5FFD81B8B541.jpeg
    407CD34F-2485-4680-9136-5FFD81B8B541.jpeg
    654.8 KB
Not sure about mtronic but I'd pony up for an OEM piston rather than a big bore kit if cylinder is O.K.

The cylinder isn’t scored but looks dusted as if it was run with the air filter loose. There is no visible cross hatching left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cylinder isn’t scored but looks dusted as if it was run with the air filter loose. There is no visible cross hatching left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cleanup the cylinders with some scotch brite then check piston cylinder clearance with some feeler gauges. Post some pictures of each from both saws

Cleanup the cylinders with some scotch brite then check piston cylinder clearance with some feeler gauges. Post some pictures of each from both saws

1e83fc94d217e8801b2ec628c3113f89.jpg
9ff02b9038dcae174174931d926d7e50.jpg
3b44564ed476beb18fbbea8945e26e4f.jpg
973da6057bdfc94ef4e4b9ed658ee7f4.jpg

I disassembled it tonight. Found some light scoring around the bottom of the intake port otherwise not bad. I can only fit a .002” feeler gage between the piston and cylinder. Tried a .004” but no go. The scored section of the cylinder can only barely be felt with a thumb nail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks,

So I just purchased a pair of used and abused STIHL MS441 saws. Both saws were skidder modified but I’ve been able to build a running saw from the remains of the two. Upon getting the saw running I’ve discovered it’s tired, 115 psi compression. No scoring on intake or exhaust side just dull and worn inside but otherwise runs fine. My plans are to order a Farmertec big bore kit for it. The parts saw is a Early M-tronic saw and I would like to move the M-tronics to this saw. My primary concern is will the M-tronics work well with a ported big bore?

Thanks!
Why would you want to go from carb to m-tronic unless your changing elevation alot? These saws got alot of hate because they were the first to recieve the m-tronic carb and were also the first strato port saw. They had alot of problems with the mtronic version. Between that and it weighing as much as a 462 but with less power and the av system being slightly floppy with a big bar they did not recieve much love. I have the non-mtronic and my saw has run great from day 1.

Latest posts

Back