Muff mod on brand new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marley5

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So like many here, I'm addicted to chainsaws and keep buying more.
Problem is I'm old 😳 I got weaker 😳

So when I'm in the field helping my brother, he's a logger and has a sawmill, I run nothing but under 50cc saws.
He has the big pro auto tune Stihl's.

Last week he hands me a Stihl MS 250 to try, I was impressed so ran out and bought one.
It sat on my work bench looking for attention so I gave it some by removing the muffler and flogging it. 😄
I don't care about warranty as I won't let anyone touch my saws.
Anyone else ever muffler mod a brand new saw ?

All my Stihl 044`s and MS440`s were muff modded within the first week of getting them home from the dealer. I had several new OEM mufflers to put back on if it ever came down to a warranty issue but it would be a very cold day in July before I ever took a saw back to a dealer for warranty work. I fix all of my own equipment.

So like many here, I'm addicted to chainsaws and keep buying more.
Problem is I'm old 😳 I got weaker 😳

So when I'm in the field helping my brother, he's a logger and has a sawmill, I run nothing but under 50cc saws.
He has the big pro auto tune Stihl's.

Last week he hands me a Stihl MS 250 to try, I was impressed so ran out and bought one.
It sat on my work bench looking for attention so I gave it some by removing the muffler and flogging it. 😄
I don't care about warranty as I won't let anyone touch my saws.
Anyone else ever muffler mod a brand new saw ?
That’s the first thing I do, lol
But then, I haven’t bought an actual “new” saw in years 🤪

The 250 mufflers are ridiculously restricted and the saw really wakes up with opening that sucker.
Best way is to disassemble and gut it then re-pinch it back together.
MAP torch or oxy/ac to heat up the seam…then big screwdriver.

Back