muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how important is it to keep a screen on any new muffler ports? How much danger of sparks starting a fire is there without a screen?

I would be more concerned about keeping debri from getting in the muffler and into the cylinder and piston causing terminal damage. I would use the screen. Later Crowe

Dave fire your saw up in the dark one time (dont cut your leg off) and watch the muffler and see how many sparks you see. Then decide for yourself.

If you saw in a dry grassy area then put in a screen

BTW I do not have any

When we have left them in, in time they had to be cleaned or discarded. They would get so clogged over time, the power would would decrease, instant performance was gained by their removal at that point. That goes for our blowers too.

The spark/fire warnings do carry some weight too. i believe it is a 'California' requirement, that is carried through the models for mass production/standardization and positive compliance anywhere, by following the strictest of one locality; at least pretty sure that is how it started, probably has groan since then.

My neighbor is a faller and he says that once it starts raining, he pulls the screens out, but in the summer he puts them back in. In Oregon all logging has to stop after 1:00 PM and they have to post a 24 hour fire watch at the site. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and saw the bright lights of log loaders running in the dark across the canyon. With those kinds of restrictions, I am running with the screen, just have to open the muffler up a little more.

Latest posts

Back