Muffler Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMO thats non sense. Back pressure is only controlled by the size of the outlet, not where it is placed. Tuned poipes on two stroke can have the stinger section of the pipe exit any place as seen on various skidoo snowmobiles and the same principle relates to a untuned saw muffler as well.

Last edited:
Exhaust on the side verses in front

Since the exhaust is kinda going straight out the exhaust port and has a flow path established by the exhaust flowpath ... would the flow characteristics for a port directly in front of the port exhibit better flow than a port on the side?

Or is this cancelled out since more gases leave the engine port than can be expelled out the muffler ports and the backpressure destroys the flowpath? I guess this would be called turbulence?

Why do you think a tuned pipe makes so much more power than a stock muff? Because its TUNED, which means there is actually some science put into its design, rather than just sticking whatever piece of metal on that will fit in the hole. There is zero science put into stock mufflers, so I am sure there is all kinds of turbulence in there. Nothing beats a single tuned header for exhaust scavenging

Originally posted by Down To Earth
Learned something today.

I was speaking with John Walker regarding muffler mods. He stated a common mistake was putting the pipes straight out the front of the muffler. He said this method is not as effective as having a more angled pipe, because something having to do with "back pressure.
I think what John may have been talking about in regards to the pipes coming straight out affecting back pressure, is that sometimes in a large diameter log it's possible to have that area of the muffler right up against the log when you get below center. This would be more apt to happen with small or no dawgs on the saw.

well here is my 11/2 cents . i was slow to open my muflers on my saws as i wanted to understand it better.
i did it yesterday. the saws immediately had to be adjusted ,as they were idled much to high. i adjusted the llow adjustedment on both and the high on the 028.. walla it definitly made a power difference . the 028 was the most affected. its got to be at least a third faster. so experiment succesful .at least it seems so now. both the 028 and partner 5000 are the fastest i ever owned. so what else can i do that wont blow them up.im was even thinking about not gettin the big saw now. but just picked up a solo 667 with buy it now. if it is what i hope . this mite get power tuned by a pro we ll see. 69 cc and i already knew i like the feel of solos ,as i have one already.

Latest posts

Back