My friction saving false crotch what not. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
okay, im sure you'll all laugh at me, but here is my new friction saving what not. i didnt put in a pulley cuz too much money. I didnt use carabiners cuz too much money. I bought some rope, a screw link and a ring, all rated real high. Its sort of a combo of the adjustable deal combined with the double ring friction saver. Please tell me if you see problems with my setup before I use it, of course I will test it out on the ground, but if you see anything i should change, SPEAK!!!

ps, thems double-fisherman loops holding the rings, what do you think?

Davidsinatree said:
Is that rope......tree pro red and true blue 12 strand?

actually, its buzzzzzz or some stupid name like that. the picture makes it look red but its high-viz orange, 12 strand. And the other, yes, is true blue 12 strand.

but what about my setup in general?

Also I would not trust that set up. The ring does not look like its load rated and that is not a good aplication for a screw link. The small dia of the link and ring will create friction on your rope. Rope will not slide over them smoothly.
Is saving $25 for a friction saver worth chancing getting hurt?

Davidsinatree said:
Also I would not trust that set up. The ring does not look like its load rated and that is not a good aplication for a screw link. The small dia of the link and ring will create friction on your rope. Rope will not slide over them smoothly.
Is saving $25 for a friction saver worth chancing getting hurt?

yes . . . i mean no . . . well that ring is rated at 2500 lbs working load, and last time i checked I weighed a little less than that. but i was also concerned that that screw link would cause a problem. i was thinking about maybe. . . just maybe putting in some money for a pulley that I could put on the end of that screw link. but that ring is plenty big enough for the rope to slide over. Either way, your talking much less friction than i have right now sliding over tree bark.

Buzzzline, made by Yale, a 12 strand climbing line.

Looks good, a bit bulky, but it'll surely do the job. Splice that up and it'll look top notch!

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
Buzzzline, made by Yale, a 12 strand climbing line.

Looks good, a bit bulky, but it'll surely do the job. Splice that up and it'll look top notch!

love
nick

thanks Nick, i would love to have that spliced (or know how) but i dont have the money, hence the ackward setup. I think i will look into learning how to splice, seems like it has infinate applications to rope, but i thought I heard a person cant splice 12 strand. True or false? I saw a old post from you about splicing, can you recommend any particular books that are good for a beginner?

Sizzle, the screwlink isn't unsafe-if you tighten it with a wrench the rope won't unscrew it BUT, as David mentioned the bend radius is very small-which is very bad for your rope. You can buy load rated Aluminium rings from Sherrill. Karl Kuemmerling has steel ones. They cost less than 'biners and pulleys. I understand about being brok-been there frequently but if you can't afford a few bucks for the Big Shot and a couple of rings perhaps you can't afford to keep climbing for the non-pay you aren't receiving. :angel:

Stumper said:
Sizzle, the screwlink isn't unsafe-if you tighten it with a wrench the rope won't unscrew it BUT, as David mentioned the bend radius is very small-which is very bad for your rope. You can buy load rated Aluminium rings from Sherrill. Karl Kuemmerling has steel ones. They cost less than 'biners and pulleys. I understand about being brok-been there frequently but if you can't afford a few bucks for the Big Shot and a couple of rings perhaps you can't afford to keep climbing for the non-pay you aren't receiving. :angel:

well, the plan is that if i keep climbing then i can start making the money for climbing. right now, i be only groundy

any advice on making the radius wider? could i simply adjust the setup to be smaller and therefore the rings would not touch?

This makes me wonder about mine. It is also homemade. I use a cable with two ends folded back to make a loop on each end. I put one loop in the other loop which makes a slipknot allowing a very tight squeeze on the tree I then put a clevis on the tail loop. The clevis pin spins freely which acts as a pulley. I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

PTS said:
This makes me wonder about mine. It is also homemade. I use a cable with two ends folded back to make a loop on each end. I put one loop in the other loop which makes a slipknot allowing a very tight squeeze on the tree I then put a clevis on the tail loop. The clevis pin spins freely which acts as a pulley. I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

Please post a pic, this setup sounds rather bizarre and a bit scary. Is it retrievable?

Hello Sizzle chest.
I dont mean to sound like a jerk but man I feel your life is worth the extra money. If you have to ask the questions here then maybe you shouldnt be climbing with a homemade rig like that. Looks real scary and very uncomfortable. I dont climb like most of these guys but I do rappel (recreation) and climb telephone poles for a living. Diffrent gear there but still I know what its like to come down hard. I have had three knee surgeries from my first and last accident (8 years working) and I had top gear just bad luck. I'm not downing you but if you get hurt then where would you be?

i dunno, i tried to make it safe. nothing is rated under 2000lbs, nothing can accidently open up, strong knots, i'm pretty sure this is what people usually use only with a pulley on the tail. I guess i will test it low to the ground and maybe snap some pictures for better idea how it would work.

Sizzle, The Oscillante isn't a bad little pully BUT. While at 16kn ( a bit over 3500 lbs) it is amply strong enough to hold you, it falls short of the ANSI standard for life supporting gear (5000 lb tensile). CMI makes a little pulley that is rated at 5K lbs that costs $10. REI stores frequently sell them. REI also has one that looks like the CMI that is branded for REI that is Rated at 20 KN-which is still short of the required 5k by about 10%.

PTS, Your rig does not sound good. FWIW, if you have a SAFE clevis/oval 'biner/screw link, Petzl makes a plastic sheave(same one as is on the Oscillante) that sells for 3 bucks and will turn the hardware into a pulley. Hardware has to have the right shape and dimensions.

Ya, stumper, i agree with you. i wouldnt risk using that pulley to save 9$, i would just buy that micropulley. But do you think putting in a pulley would change the radius enough to 'make the difference'? Thats only gunna add like an inch or so, at the most. Maybe thats all it needs?

The rope manufacturers specifically recommend an 8/1 radius for sheaves. That would mean a 4 inch diameter sheave for your 1/2 inch line. Those specs are to maintain something like 90% or greater of the ropes rated strength. You can wrap a 1/2 inch line over 'biner stock and keep about half the rated strength-which is still safe with strong ropes. The problem is that if you RUN the ropes over such tight radii they wear much faster. Even a one inch sheave is MUCH kinder to the rope-It not only changes the bend radiusto ease internal friction but also eliminates most of the external friction.

I think that you have done OK with that cambium saver you have made.

But as soon as you make a few bucks get the real deal.

Did you know of the ART Rope Guide? Here's a pic. Darn good device this one.

attachment.php

Back