My hard to start but does start STIHL 211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman2021

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dear little STIHL 211 has always been a really mean to start chainsaw, after maybe an hour of going through no choke to half choke then full choke, then i sit down about five minuets and give it a try again with nothing happening except me getting tired.

I am pretty sure i am flooding it as i can remove the plug clean it and sometimes it fires right up, but again many times it won't start like today i pulled the plug three times cleaning it and pulling the cord to clear any excess gas out.

Then after the last plug cleaning and clearing it fired up, any ideas what i am doing or not doing with my 211?

My 211 does not have a compression release and is really hard

Attachments

• Stihl ms211 sharping 05232022.jpg (1).jpeg
    Stihl ms211 sharping 05232022.jpg (1).jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 0
I have a 211
What happens when you follow the proper steps in your manual when starting?
I think your heading me to my problem with getting my 211 started, after re-reading the user manual for the proper starting, i find i was not doing it correct i have been setting he choke in the full for warm weather not in the half position my problem is using the full choke first and flooding the 211.

The manual says push to full choke then move it to half choke position also you need to pull the starter cord a few times to get fuel to the carb.

Thank you for pointing me to follow the manual for getting the 211 started.

The manual also covers a flooding problem as i had found myself removing the spark plug cleaning off fuel and then pulling the starter cord to clear the cylinder.

Well i am following the STIHL 211 manual and it stillis not firing up, yesterday after about two hours and many pulls it started today it's not starting Arrrrrrrrrrrr @#%&* Arrrrrrrrr

Even stihl dealer couldnt get a locals 211 right. When it showed up to me they even forgot to put the af back on at the stihl shop. :rolleyes: :laughing:

I told them bring it back after they had those :innocent: check it back over. Came back was still hard to start. :dizzy:

I fixed the hard start easily. Trimmed the tab for full adjustments. Starts easy now.

Attachments

• s211af.jpg
    s211af.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • lolstihlpull.jpg
    lolstihlpull.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Even stihl dealer couldnt get a locals 211 right. When it showed up to me they even forgot to put the af back on at the stihl shop. :rolleyes: :laughing:

I told them bring it back after they had those :innocent: check it back over. Came back was still hard to start. :dizzy:

I fixed the hard start easily. Trimmed the tab for full adjustments. Starts easy now.
My local STIHL dealer can't get people to do even basic lawnmower repair and many of the older workers who know the products are retiring or just passing away.
Tday if one can't fix things themselves your about just out of luck, and many just trash their older tools and buy new ones in hopes they will work and keep working a while longer.

Latest posts

Back